ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michel

Re: ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Post by Michel »

hgm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm The problem is not the rules. Contrary to popular believe there are no rules that prevent Stockfish from participating in the WCCC, and what matters least of all is that it is a derivative of Glaurung.

The problem is that the programmers don't want it to participate. So you are barking up the wrong tree. You should not complain to ICGA, but to the Stockfish developers.
I don't think the current developers would object. It was mainly Marco Costalba that was strongly opposed but he seems to have disappeared.

Of course the WCCC no longer looks relevant but that's another matter.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Post by Viz »

Michel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am
hgm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm The problem is not the rules. Contrary to popular believe there are no rules that prevent Stockfish from participating in the WCCC, and what matters least of all is that it is a derivative of Glaurung.

The problem is that the programmers don't want it to participate. So you are barking up the wrong tree. You should not complain to ICGA, but to the Stockfish developers.
I don't think the current developers would object. It was mainly Marco Costalba that was strongly opposed but he seems to have disappeared.

Current developers would object. Stockfish participating brings relevance to tournament that has structure that is outdated by couple decades. Making this abomination somewhat relevant with participation of number one is tbh just bad.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Viz wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 am
Michel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am

Current developers would object. Stockfish participating brings relevance to tournament that has structure that is outdated by couple decades. Making this abomination somewhat relevant with participation of number one is tbh just bad.
Have I understood well that this will be the last one? It's a pity anyway in this case.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The computer community nowadays is dominated by people that are only interested in destroying others, and under those conditions a cozy get-together of programmers is not a format that attracts many participants.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

hgm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am The computer community nowadays is dominated by people that are only interested in destroying others, and under those conditions a cozy get-together of programmers is not a format that attracts many participants.
Thiis time I don't agree with you :)

Torch Team for example is composed by a lot of skilled programmers working togheter, despite the fact that each one has his own engine.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

So will they compete in the WCCC? I don't think they were there last year.
Henk

Post by Henk »

So it is the last chance for Stockfish(developers) to finally become the real world champion. Reasons enough to participate this time.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Henk wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 pm So it is the last chance for Stockfish(developers) to finally become the real world champion. Reasons enough to participate this time.
I really hope that. Maybe we should open a topic here and on Discord, if for ICGA there is no problem to let them to participate :)
Last edited by AlexChess on Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm So will they compete in the WCCC? I don't think they were there last year.
They’ll do what chess.com tells them to do
Henk

Post by Henk »

Maybe if you want to destroy Stockfish you give a very large amount of (price) money to Stockfish and they will not end up quarreling who should get the money.