ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pijl

ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Post by pijl »

We are delighted to announce that the 2024 World Computer Chess Championships will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, October 19-24. The WCCCs will be co-located with the European Conference on AI (ECAI) 2024. This is the 50th anniversary of ECAI.

Exciting news:
* This will be the 50th anniversary of the first WCCC -- Stockholm 1974.
* We have a major sponsor for the WCCC events.
* Sponsorship includes prize money for each of the three WCCC tournaments, as well as travel and hotel subsidies for program entries.
* This will be the last WCCC. After 50 years, it's time to declare success. The WCCC started out with ELO 1600 programs and today we have ELO 3600 programs. It's time for a celebration...
* The WCCC will include a special half-day event: Chess: History, Experiments, and Search Symposium (CHESS). We will invite to Spain as many of the early pioneers of computer chess, some of whom participated in Stockholm 1974! We will celebrate the past, present, and future of chess, computing, and AI.

I hope you can join us.
Ajedrecista

Re: ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Richard:

Going back to where we left off?

2020 ICGA Events

My best wishes to all of you. It will be a success this time! :-)

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
CRoberson

Re: ICGA WCCC and WCSC in Santiago de Compostela

Post by CRoberson »

Hi Richard,
That sounds great! I've been meaning to go back since 2002, but things got in the way. Just rejoined the ICGA for the next 3 years. I am working on computer chess again. I just called Bruce Wright and informed him. He was in Toronto with Duchess in 1977.
Thanks for the info.

Charles
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

pijl wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:39 pm We are delighted to announce that the 2024 World Computer Chess Championships will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, October 19-24. The WCCCs will be co-located with the European Conference on AI (ECAI) 2024. This is the 50th anniversary of ECAI.

Exciting news:
* This will be the 50th anniversary of the first WCCC -- Stockholm 1974.
* We have a major sponsor for the WCCC events.
* Sponsorship includes prize money for each of the three WCCC tournaments, as well as travel and hotel subsidies for program entries.
* This will be the last WCCC. After 50 years, it's time to declare success. The WCCC started out with ELO 1600 programs and today we have ELO 3600 programs. It's time for a celebration...
* The WCCC will include a special half-day event: Chess: History, Experiments, and Search Symposium (CHESS). We will invite to Spain as many of the early pioneers of computer chess, some of whom participated in Stockholm 1974! We will celebrate the past, present, and future of chess, computing, and AI.

I hope you can join us.
With all my respect (Intelligent Games company that I worked for organized the WCCC97 in Rome) please, include also Stockfish. I know that
was a Glaurung derivative but it's completely changed today. Maybe after 50 years you could finally change the rules.
Fritz 19 2023 WCC is only 3300 ELO and also Torch is much better. TCEC now is the true top chess programmers reference...
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The problem is not the rules. Contrary to popular believe there are no rules that prevent Stockfish from participating in the WCCC, and what matters least of all is that it is a derivative of Glaurung.

The problem is that the programmers don't want it to participate. So you are barking up the wrong tree. You should not complain to ICGA, but to the Stockfish developers.
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

A _final_ free holidays for Jaap and Joke. :D

I hope some amateur programmers of weaker engines take the chance for what I expect to be nice and cheap holidays. I expect ICGA to pay accomodation and even offer some money for the flight. The ad sounds similar (and even suggests more funds) than the one for Ramat-Gan in 2004. 8-)
eduherminio
Full name: Eduardo Caceres

Post by eduherminio »

For now there's nothing in ICGA web, no I understand nothing is official yet.
Author of Lynx chess engine (GitHub, Lichess)
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

2024 world computer chess championships: The end of an era 1974–2024

Authors: Schaeffer, Jonathan

Article Type: Research Article

Abstract: After 50 years, the final World Computer Chess Championships will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, October 19–24, 2024. Most of the world’s strongest programs will be competing for the coveted Shannon Trophy. In addition to the tournaments, there will be a very special event: the C hess: H istory, E xperiments, and S earch S ymposium (CHESS ), which will bring together many of the pioneers of computer chess.

DOI: 10.3233/ICG-240243

Citation: ICGA Journal, vol. Pre-press, no. Pre-press, pp. 1-3, 2024
Price: EUR 27,50

https://content.iospress.com/journals/i ... /Pre-press
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Rebel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 pm 2024 world computer chess championships: The end of an era 1974–2024

Authors: Schaeffer, Jonathan

Article Type: Research Article

Abstract: After 50 years, the final World Computer Chess Championships will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, October 19–24, 2024. Most of the world’s strongest programs will be competing for the coveted Shannon Trophy. In addition to the tournaments, there will be a very special event: the C hess: H istory, E xperiments, and S earch S ymposium (CHESS ), which will bring together many of the pioneers of computer chess.

DOI: 10.3233/ICG-240243

Citation: ICGA Journal, vol. Pre-press, no. Pre-press, pp. 1-3, 2024
Price: EUR 27,50

https://content.iospress.com/journals/i ... /Pre-press
I will follow the event with great interest :D
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
pijl

Post by pijl »

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the ICGA managed to secure funds to cover travel costs for participants of the ICGA tournaments.
This includes:
1. Travel costs up to $500 USD for European entries; $1000 USD for entries from elsewhere.
2. Six nights hotel.

Additionally, when there are sufficient entries there will be prize money for each of the three championships.:

* WCCC Prizes: $2,000 (1st), $1,000 (2nd), $500 (3rd)
* WCSC Prizes: $1,000 (1st), $500 (2nd), $250 (3rd)
* WCSCC Prizes: $1,000 (1st), $500 (2nd), $250 (3rd)

"Sufficient entries" is defined as N prizes for at least 2N entries. Thus for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (N=3) to be awarded, there has to be at least 6 (2N) entries.

Please mail or pm me when you're interested in joining the tournaments.