MacBook Pro 20.5-inch M5 ULTRA 💻

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

towforce

Re: MacBook Pro 20.5-inch M5 ULTRA 💻

Post by towforce »

Pali wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:21 pm
towforce wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:26 pm
wickedpotus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:00 pmConsumers focused primarily on functionality might find [Apple products] less appealing compared to those who value brand and style.

This is off-topic, but it's very noticeable that, on a night out, if you meet a girl (young girls in particular) who have an Apple phone, they'll go to a lot of trouble to "accidentally" ensure that you see that their phone is an Apple phone. You won't be allowed to miss the logo.

Obviously there's no actual benefit to them of doing this, but what do they, even unconsciously, think the benefit is? All I can think of is that girls like to show off.

Btw global culture is with us in the female sex: in certain situations, girls will say exactly the same things using exactly the same words whether they're Asian, African, European or American. My best guess is that it's coming from Netflix (to which I am not a subscriber).
Kindergarten level takes should go to the Kindergarten section of the forum.

I completely understand your POV, but I'm going to offer a quick defence - and to do that, I'm going to offer the big picture (my favourite viewpoint):

* For a long time, the SOCs in Apple phones have been absolutely astounding piece of technology with kick-ass power for a frugal power consumption (I say that as an Android man: I give credit where it's due. I've heard that Snapdragon is making efforts to catch up, though)

* Apple then started using these SOCs in larger computers like Mac Books

* Whatever benefits this bestows (probably good performance for low battery drainage), I have seen a serious case at this forum that these devices are not the best choice if your use-case is chess analysis for multiple hours. My inclination is to agree with this case

* If you compare Apple computers to Windows computers, you have to discuss the walled-garden issue: in some ways a walled-garden is good (discourage people from installing software that's going to impact the user-experience), but in some ways it's bad (sometimes, you want to leave the garden)

* Some people genuinely believe that they're more productive on an Apple computer. I have no doubt that for some use-cases, this is probably true. There might be a cost to this (reduced freedom, more financial cost), but if you're rich, and you value your time, this might be a good choice for you

* However (and finally getting to the defence of my observation here), there's something else about Apple devices: they are seen as luxury goods. You can make a case that this aspect of Apple computers doesn't belong in a computer chess forum - but if one is considering which device to buy, then even if the use-case is long analysis of chess positions, it's right and proper to introduce the other important aspects of the device to the discussion
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Apple girls, Apple boys, Android boys, Android men, I couldn't care less about such labels....maybe of interest*:

~1% of Android users have rooted their device with LineageOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

Richard Stallman on mobiles/smartphones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_S ... resistance

*disclaimer: I am in no relationship of any kind to LineageOS and Richard Stallman.

--
Srdja
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

M4 Extreme :D
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

smatovic wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:45 am
Magnum wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:53 am [...]
+2 performance cores
or +2 performance cores and +2 efficiency cores
Note that with more and more cores, the number increases exponentially and not linearly.
[...]
What about "AI PC", any news on new NPU chips for running neural networks?

--
Srdja
AI
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Magnum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 pm M4 Extreme :D
Mark G predictions are about as reliable as the British weather.
His comments about the M4 Ultra being more powerful than the best Nvidia cards are nonsense
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 pm Mark G predictions are about as reliable as the British weather.
His comments about the M4 Ultra being more powerful than the best Nvidia cards are nonsense
Just like most Apple-heads, he's completely resistant to facts and knows nothing about hardware. Show us some real benchmarks, not just videos edited on all-purpose computers by people who post rumors.

Maybe Apple's sucky performance will be fixed by 2025, who knows? But what we do know is that Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and others will have faster products in two years. And most likely, they will offer vastly better price-to-performance ratios than Apple.