Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderator: Ras

Zaucube
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:13 pm
Full name: Yves Quintal

Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by Zaucube »

I guess I'm not the only one who gave up on that thought long ago.
From the pictures we can see, it looks good. Much cleaner. Not quite En-croissant but heading in that direction, or so it seem.
I really hope that everything stays in a single windows. I hate ending up with 4 or 5 windows.
Anyway I like what I see. I'm very curious.
User avatar
towforce
Posts: 13344
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Birmingham UK
Full name: Graham Laight

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by towforce »

Older versions of Chessbase used to run under the Mac's Windows compatibility layers, but new ones don't. A Mac version of Chessbase is being released in November.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/chessbase-finally-on-mac
Human chess is partly about tactics and strategy, but mostly about memory
Tord Romstad
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Paris, France
Full name: Tord Romstad

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by Tord Romstad »

That's a little unfortunate for me: I was planning to release The Marvelous Brass Chessplaying Automaton around that time. At least I expect to beat ChessBase in terms of price and platform support (I do iPhone and iPad as well).
nmcrazyim5
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:03 am
Full name: P

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by nmcrazyim5 »

Tord Romstad wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2026 8:55 am That's a little unfortunate for me: I was planning to release The Marvelous Brass Chessplaying Automaton around that time. At least I expect to beat ChessBase in terms of price and platform support (I do iPhone and iPad as well).
Fantastic name for the app. Is there a pre-release/ test version of it for people to try?
Tord Romstad
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Paris, France
Full name: Tord Romstad

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by Tord Romstad »

nmcrazyim5 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2026 9:17 am
Tord Romstad wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2026 8:55 am That's a little unfortunate for me: I was planning to release The Marvelous Brass Chessplaying Automaton around that time. At least I expect to beat ChessBase in terms of price and platform support (I do iPhone and iPad as well).
Fantastic name for the app. Is there a pre-release/ test version of it for people to try?
Thank you!

Not everybody likes the name. It’s from a Gene Wolfe short story. When I discovered that my favorite sci-fi author had written a computer chess story (sort of), I knew I had to name a program after it.

Yes, there is a public TestFlight beta:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/mqfhpmHY

Runs on the iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch. I have a visionOS version, too, but that one is still a little too rough for a TestFlight beta.

I should warn that the macOS version is still a little less mature than the iOS one.
nmcrazyim5
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:03 am
Full name: P

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by nmcrazyim5 »

Hi Tord, appreciate the link and your efforts. I ran into a number of crashes on my iPad pro (don't have an iPhone). Can't seem to get into play vs engine opponent at all. Likely a known issue?
Tord Romstad
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Paris, France
Full name: Tord Romstad

Re: Surprise! Chessbase for the Mac

Post by Tord Romstad »

nmcrazyim5 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2026 11:08 am Hi Tord, appreciate the link and your efforts. I ran into a number of crashes on my iPad pro (don't have an iPhone). Can't seem to get into play vs engine opponent at all. Likely a known issue?
Hi, and thank you for reporting.

No, this is not known, and not normal. This thread is probably not the right place to discuss a bug in a non-ChessBase product, though. Could you drop me an e-mail? My first name dot my last name at gmail.