What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderator: Ras

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:44 am

What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by Kirk »

I remember we used to have a few Chessmaster Personality tournament posters here. I have not seen many engines with the ability to change parameters like that.

Does anyone know of engines like that? I think Rodent is one
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
BrendanJNorman
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:43 am
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Kirk wrote: ↑Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:45 pm I remember we used to have a few Chessmaster Personality tournament posters here. I have not seen many engines with the ability to change parameters like that.

Does anyone know of engines like that? I think Rodent is one
Definitely Rodent. Pawel did amazing work with that one. Can tweak literally everything the engine might think about.

Ed did an awesome job with ProDeo 2.2 (IIRC) onwards giving you a similar buffet of options to Rodent.

I think some older engines like Gambit Fruit, Twisted Logic and others also opened up a lot of nice UCI options.

Those 4 alone will give you months of tinkering fun. :lol:

Let us know how you go. Curious about new personalities always.
User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:44 am

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by Kirk »

BrendanJNorman wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2026 7:04 am
Kirk wrote: ↑Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:45 pm I remember we used to have a few Chessmaster Personality tournament posters here. I have not seen many engines with the ability to change parameters like that.

Does anyone know of engines like that? I think Rodent is one
Definitely Rodent. Pawel did amazing work with that one. Can tweak literally everything the engine might think about.

Ed did an awesome job with ProDeo 2.2 (IIRC) onwards giving you a similar buffet of options to Rodent.

I think some older engines like Gambit Fruit, Twisted Logic and others also opened up a lot of nice UCI options.

Those 4 alone will give you months of tinkering fun. :lol:

Let us know how you go. Curious about new personalities always.
Thanks Brendan!! :)
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Rowen
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:19 pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by Rowen »

Also may be worth checking out ECE intuition chess, new personalities can be made and comes with over 600 personalities. Available in own GUI or a separate UCI engine.
Jjaw
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:48 pm
Full name: Joe Louvier

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by Jjaw »

If you want the most parameters , get Toga Tester.
Rowen
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:19 pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by Rowen »

Jjaw wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 5:44 am If you want the most parameters , get Toga Tester.
Hi
Is there a link to this? Cant seem to find it anywhere.
User avatar
GenoM
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Full name: Evgenii Manev

Re: What Chess Engines have the most tweakable parameters?

Post by GenoM »

Szint has many many personalities.
take it easy :)