Is anybody using mini-PC for chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Is anybody using mini-PC for chess?

Post by Jouni »

Jouni
Shaun

Re: Is anybody using mini-PC for chess?

Post by Shaun »

or a better processor

https://store.minisforum.de/products/mi ... 0367257783

Add your own ram / SSD or chose one of the pre-configured options.

I have been tempted but have not bought. My guess is cooling will be better than a laptop?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

I am using an asus zenbook 14 with 8 cores.
33 watt with all 8 cores running and with empty battery and working 66 watt.

I dont see why a small computer without battery and without screen should be better.
A laptop fits in any small bag. I can take it with me on a bike, its not losing data and when i need a big screen i can connect a hdmi cable or an usb c cable to the monitor.
When there is a power failure my data is not crashing and lost. And i can load it with my solar pad, so i am autarc.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

I got rid of all my desktops. Big, noisy and heavy. Totally useless. If I need a bigger screen to play games. I'll just use HDMI or thunderbolt on my ThinkPads and play games on 100" screen.

Beats Raspberry PI 100-0 as well. I can program in python w/ real keyboard and screen. And blink LEDs etc.
When you add a case, cooling and SSDs to Raspberry PIs it's not so small anymore. I see no point when you can buy a T480s in cheaper than RaspBerry PI.

I only have 14" ThinkPad laptops I can put in my backpack and go anywhere. Everything is encrypted. 15.6" and bigger laptops are a bit heavy.
i5-8th gets 48MNPS
Ryzen 4800U gets 55MNPS
i7 is clearly the strongest CPU. It gets 77MNPS.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

What are these Threadripper benches :) ?
Jouni
JoAnnP38
Full name: JoAnn Peeler

Post by JoAnnP38 »

I am currently using 2X Minisforum UM690, a Beelink SER5 and a Mini-ITX desktop using the Minisforum BD790i MB which gives me 40 cores and 80 threads to devote to chess programming and part-time game playing. I use one ultra-side monitor and one keyboard to interface to my BD790i and remote-pc to interface to the other mini-pcs. I couldn't even image the chaos of trying to use 4 laptops when this little guess sit perfectly on a tallish, custom-made wooden rack that looks like it could also be used for chotchkies. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with this arrangement.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Jouni wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:18 pm https://store.minisforum.de/products/mi ... d_source=1

60W power usage.
Yes. I use a mini. I like it a lot. I want this one next:
https://morefine.com/products/morefine- ... 6303338583
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

The Achilles knee of mini-desktops is the cooling. "Tidal cooling system" is total BS.
It's gonna throttle due to over: 240V * 6.32A = 1516W power consumption if all passive cooling.
Or the little fan is gonna go 10000 RPM and 120dB mayhem.

When I was building desktops. I usually installed a Scythe Ninja passive cooler. It's an absolutely massive cooler sitting on top of CPU but it kept it cool. You need a massive case to install.
No fans anywhere. Totally silent (pun intended).
But it was big and ugly. Got rid of them.
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

mclane wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 am I am using an asus zenbook 14 with 8 cores.
33 watt with all 8 cores running and with empty battery and working 66 watt.

I dont see why a small computer without battery and without screen should be better.
A laptop fits in any small bag. I can take it with me on a bike, its not losing data and when i need a big screen i can connect a hdmi cable or an usb c cable to the monitor.
When there is a power failure my data is not crashing and lost. And i can load it with my solar pad, so i am autarc.
iPad Pro 13-inch M4.
+ MacBook Pro 16-inch M3 MAX

Soon people can buy the MacBook Pro M4 MAX / ULTRA
+ Mac Studio with M4 ULTRA
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Cooling is about physical laws. Either you use a low voltage cpu (arm) or fans or water cooling.

In a small mini pc or thin tablet pc only arm cpus are possible or water cooling.

But not really effective cooling.

My zenbook is not eating much power.
But for really fast stuff you need big fans with 15 cm metall cooler or big water cooler.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....