[CCB] Cyclone 2.2: 2766

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

[CCB] Cyclone 2.2: 2766

Post by swami »

Gaultlet continued from GBT 1 tournament.

Score: 81.5/102

Rating: 2766

Notes: I've not seen any time management trouble as some seem to claim. Overall, this is Ok performance for Cyclone. It's roughly at Glaurung/Fruit's level.
kranium

Re: [CCB] Cyclone 2.2: 2766

Post by kranium »

Thanks for testing Swami...
can you give me some more info...

how many cpus were used?
is this number comparable to the CEGT and the CCRL results?
to which version of Fruit and Glaurung are you referring (there is a great disparity)..

also this tournament 'CCB', are the results published? If so can you provide a link?

Thx,
Norm
swami

Post by swami »

kranium wrote:Thanks for testing Swami...

how many cpus were used?
to which version of Fruit and Glaurung are you referring (there is a great disparity)..

also this tournament 'CCB', are the results published? If so can you provide a link?

Thx,
Norm
Hi Norm,

I think Cyclone used default settings with nothing changed, so that is 1 cpu, right?, I was referring to the 051103 version of Fruit and Glaurung 2.1.

Remaining other results apart from Cyclone, is published in this thread:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... hlight=gbt

I just added Cyclone to the already finished tournament to see the progress, so essentially it's a gauntlet blitz tournament.
kranium

Post by kranium »

swami wrote:
kranium wrote:Thanks for testing Swami...

how many cpus were used?

Thx,
Norm
Hi Norm,

I think Cyclone used default settings with nothing changed, so that is 1 cpu, right?, I was referring to the 051103 version of Fruit and Glaurung 2.1.

Remaining other results apart from Cyclone, is published in this thread:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... hlight=gbt

I just added Cyclone to the already finished tournament to see the progress, so essentially it's a gauntlet blitz tournament.
yes, default = 1 cpu
excellent...thx.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

swami wrote:I was referring to the 051103 version of Fruit
Well, I thought the engine's name was changed to Cyclone because it was a big improvement that required a name change.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Ovyron wrote:
swami wrote:I was referring to the 051103 version of Fruit
Well, I thought the engine's name was changed to Cyclone because it was a big improvement that required a name change.
Hi Ulysses-
I'm glad you asked! <:

Comparing to Fruit 051103 is an accurate indication of strength... (don't forget this is just one gauntlet from one person).

from the CCRL (based on 334 40/40 games):
Cyclone 2.2 2924
Toga II 1.4 beta5c 2908
Fruit 051103 2874

New features:
multiPV
dynamic hash
a single executable
4 custom made books
and more.

Although I need give no justification for forking from Toga with a new name, I will to say it was the right choice for me...

1) if you examine the Cyclone code, you'll see that it has many many changes, and is substantially re-written, re-organized. the program flow has changed, the multiCPU routines have been changed, many things have been fixed, code optimized, routines have been removed, more agressive pruning has been implemented. this amount of change would not be practical, or even possible while remaining in the Toga lineage. (this amount of change is atypical, for ex: toga141se (based on 14beta5c) changed just a few lines of code, and piece values.

2) The toga fork is not organized, bit of a mess, IMHO, with many new versions such as 1.5.5se, 1.57se, toga 1.4.7se, etc. etc. (in reality these new version #s are no more than PGO optimized compiles of 141se, (and distributed without code).

3) Lastly, when I started Cyclone in Aug., I immediately contacted the Toga developers group in an effort to colaborate, but this to no avail.
i.e. my request was not well received.

Hence Cyclone was born! (out of the whirlwind and chaos!).

Norm
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

So it's a different engine code-wise, thanks.