Retrograde analysis

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Geolm

Retrograde analysis

Post by Geolm »

Hi !

I'd like to make an chess puzzle generator, for mate puzzle I am interested in retrograde analysis (like in table base generator). I tried to find some piece of code over the internet but in vain, is there someone here who knows where I can find some (C or C++) about retrograde analysis?

Thanks,
Guillaume
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Retrograde analysis

Post by hgm »

I have a tablebase section on my website which discusses retrograde analysis. There is also source code for a simple tablebase generator there.

But I doubt if retrograde analysis can be used for the purpose you want. Basically, it figures out the complete set of positions from which you can force the opponent to a certain given set of positions. In tablebases, the latter set consists of all checkmates.

If you would try to use it on a just a few checkmates, the set of positions from which you can force them is usually very small: the opponent can almost always play alternative moves that make him lose through another mate, not in the set you started with, and positions where he can do that won't be declared a loss for him. With tablebase generation it only works because you start labeling ALL checkmates. But with more than 7 men on the board, this is impossible to do, as the set is too big.
Geolm

Post by Geolm »

Thanks for your answer, I agree with you. I wonder how can I generate chess puzzle (at last mate puzzle). I bought chessmaster DS game and it has a mate-in-one puzzle generator. Though generated puzzle have poor quality (it lacks some serious heuristics I think), it works. Anyone has an idea?
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Geolm wrote:Thanks for your answer, I agree with you. I wonder how can I generate chess puzzle (at last mate puzzle). I bought chessmaster DS game and it has a mate-in-one puzzle generator. Though generated puzzle have poor quality (it lacks some serious heuristics I think), it works. Anyone has an idea?
I think the issue was covered in one ICGA Journal, but I can't remember which. You may have a look at this cpw-site, which has links to table of content and abstracts...

David Levy's Computer Chess Compendium has a paper "A Chess Mating Combinations Program" by G. W. Baylor and H. A. Simon pg. 196.