Nimzo Engines of Millenium Chess System

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Nimzo Engines of Millenium Chess System

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello, I have good news for you:

Yesterday I received an email-message from Chrilly Donninger in Austria.

He retired from computerchess since the year 2008 and has no objections against a public release of Nimzo MCS with a download link.

I have sent the complete text written in German to the authors of the websites http://www.amateurschach.de/ and http://www.rwbc-chess.de/

As far I know, Nimzo was sold with the bundle "WM-Paket 2000" http://scleinzell.schachvereine.de/p_sp ... 2000.shtml
by Millenium Chess System http://www.millennium2000.de/en including Ken Thompson´s Endgame Tablebases (4CD-ROMs, estimated 2,1 GB data volume)

Best wishes,
Norbert
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Nimzo Engines of Millenium Chess System

Post by Guenther »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Hello, I have good news for you:

Yesterday I received an email-message from Chrilly Donninger in Austria.

He retired from computerchess since the year 2008 and has no objections against a public release of Nimzo MCS with a download link.

I have sent the complete text written in German to the authors of the websites http://www.amateurschach.de/ and http://www.rwbc-chess.de/

As far I know, Nimzo was sold with the bundle "WM-Paket 2000" http://scleinzell.schachvereine.de/p_sp ... 2000.shtml
by Millenium Chess System http://www.millennium2000.de/en including Ken Thompson´s Endgame Tablebases (4CD-ROMs, estimated 2,1 GB data volume)

Best wishes,
Norbert
This is really great news! Thanks for your asking to Christian 'Chrilly' Donninger and thanks to him for the permission to publish it freely now!

Next week I send a list with all versions/programs that should be in the computerchesswiki download section to Ron.
After his check they will be published (together with NimzoWB now) at the CCW.

Guenther
Norbert Raimund Leisner

MCS GmbH , a private limited company in Germany gave its o.k. for a public release, too.

Best wishes,
Norbert
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

This are very good news. This topprograms from the past know alot about good positional play.
TL
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Raimund,

OK ...
I have sent WB Nimzo 2000, WB 2000a, WB 2000b with the standard book and in additional the opening book by Zugrav via email.

Note:
Version 2000b are stronger as Nimzo 7 versions after my test at this time. 2000 and 2000a ... test versions? I don't know it today but I think in this case it's OK to send it.

Thanks for the copies of the mails.

So many material here ...

Best
Frank

Please write a short txt file about it ...
With permission by Millennium and Chrilly Donninger in 2016 with a link to Millennium on the site of publication. I think you should do it.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Here are 2 of them in our list (40/20):

Code: Select all

1224 WbNimzo2000b 2296 +19 -19 745 games 44.5% 2336 32.1% 
1225 NanoSzachy 3.7 2295 +45 -45 129 games 53.5% 2270 32.6% 
1226 Nimzo 8 2294 +14 -14 1270 45.9% 2325 games 29.1% 
Werner
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Werner,

yes, stronger as Nimzo 7-32 and Nimzo 8 by ChessBase ... after my test in the past too.

More interesting is the style of WB Nimzo 2000a ... more aggressive as the other Nimzo versions and often much stronger as Nimzo 2000b, 7 and 8. But the strongest I think is WB Nimzo 2000b.

Nimzo was an event in the beginning of Winboard. Commercial programmers used Winboard too ... example ... Shredder 3 is Winboard compatible with much interesting options, no other Winboard had at this time. This was a good start in the past because this helps Winboard a bit to get more and more popularity. At this time it was a hard work to make more and more programs compatible to this protocol. Tim Mann have a Little Problem with me ... in the first time he listed all the engines and after a short time the list is bigger and bigger and he gave up to updated the list of Winboard compatible programs on his site with the comments ... Frank's this isn't the main work on Winboard.

So I create a page and explain Winboard with configuration examples before Frank's Chess Page started. The Phase X site ... I create for Gambit-Soft Comes after 1 years with around 500.000 different hits from around 200 country of the World.

Djordje and I used each change to contact programmer and to asked ... please try out the winboard protocol. I am working years around 8 hours on it and I am today very happy that I do that.

Later the same with UCI!
The first UCI CD I organice for Gambit-Soft are really a lot of work. Programmers are thinking ... Oh, please not again a MCS system (not very popular).

But UCI are clearly better and Dieter Bürßner (Yace) and Rudolf Huber (SOS) improved UCI with Stefan together.

Time for Arena ...
WB, UCI and other Standards ... all in one in one GUI.

The same for FRC ...
With each of such things, all are a lot of work with publications and mails again and again.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Re: Tristram, SSEChess, TheCrazyBishop, Zarkov, Crafty ...

And the virus started ...
The first tourneys, the first Rating list Systems ...

John Stanback is the biggest supporter in the first time. The vather with Tim. Bob supported Winboard ... the next Winboard father ... and with time ... Patzer, Gromit, Comet, La Dame Blanche and of course all the French programmers ... the Group of French programmers got the Virus very fast. And all of the French programmers are more as friedly ... gave me again and again Information and supported Winboard with full power. German programmers too and after I start with Arena I got the biggest compliment ever a programmer gave me. A mail from SOS MTD programmer Rudolf Huber. OK, Frank you wrote me mails from year to year ... but now I can see what you do around Arena ... here you have ... SOS. And SOS was the main engine for Arena. Never I will forget the mail by Rudolf Huber. Martin Blume was happy ... with AnMon (my favorite engines at this time) SOS is available ... SOS available ... what for a great time. Both strong MTD engines available ...

AnMon, Dragon, Nejmet, LaDame Blanche and of course Franck ZIBI with ZChess, later Pharaon. And all the programs never available but very fast compatible. Unfortunately, on Frank's Chess Page I can't make freely available for all. Around 80% ... not more.

Arthur Raveneck are working on a Winboard engine ... but never released. He gave it up often because he is working with an other OS. The French programmer of ChessWizard (in my opinion one of the strongest engines at this time ... never available) and so one ...

But most interesting are a program from Spain ... never released. Stronger as Fritz and Shredder in best times. Perhaps stronger as ChessWizard (never I got a copy of ChessWizard). Never I had a chance to make it available ... Arthur and ChessWizard and the Spain program are on my wish list for free publications. Situation are danger for commercials ... for that reason two of the programmers never public the work. After my test around 75 Elo stronger as Shredder 5 at this time.

But I think I should hold on with secret Information around the beginning of Winboard. Enough was available at this time ...

Best
Frank

Sorry, but it was definitiv a great time.
Most interesting are the friendly mails and comments by Carlos E.A. Drake (Argentina). The biggest Winboader the World saw.

PASSION pure!

So funny ... the ChessTiger worte never a non Commercial programmer are stronger as the best Commercial engines. Reality ... ChessTiger at this time vs. the Spain program I wrote before ... 6:24 in an engine match.

:-)
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Richard Lang´s anwer is:

I am not ready to place the old Windows programs in the public domain.
The old DOS version is available free from:
http://www.chessgenius.com/cg3dos/index.html

Best regards
Richard

Only a hint because of other MCS programs : One of the old Shredder versions cf. WM Paket 2000 by MCS, has a hashsize-bug and cannot be installed via setup.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Raimund,

you should write a mail to John Stanback.

DOS Zarkov 2.50, 2.51, 2.6, 2.61
Maybe he give his own Windows GUI ... yes, he has an own very nice GUI ... with Zarkov 3 for DOS and for Windows. And of course he is working on Winboard engines if he have time for it. Maybe today he gave up but to I think to make Zarkov versions available for all is a great moment in computer chess ... because he is one of the computer chess fathers.

In my opinion ...
John is the most important person in computer chess!
His work never should lost.

Best
Frank

PS: After my knowledge also WChess is WB compatible. Never released. Also an idea to write here a mail to the programmer of Novag chess computers.

PS: I have interest to get ChessWizard.
ChessWizard hold at this time also the biggest torunaemnt Performance in a GM tourney with over 2.600 Elo. I say it before ... a very strong engine, never released.