Chessbase 13 x 64 and Windows 10

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

keres

Chessbase 13 x 64 and Windows 10

Post by keres »

I upgraded my Windows 7 PRO to Windows 10 PRO and now my Chessbase 13 is not worhing properly, i can't to open my magadatabase 2015 and i've big problems to activate it! On Chessbase site i reead Windows 10 not mentioned about OS supported for this software but all is right with Deep Fritz 14. Someone can to help to me? Thanks for your reply.
reflectionofpower

Re: Chessbase 13 x 64 and Windows 10

Post by reflectionofpower »

keres wrote:I upgraded my Windows 7 PRO to Windows 10 PRO and now my Chessbase 13 is not worhing properly, i can't to open my magadatabase 2015 and i've big problems to activate it! On Chessbase site i reead Windows 10 not mentioned about OS supported for this software but all is right with Deep Fritz 14. Someone can to help to me? Thanks for your reply.
I wish I could help you. I have Windows 8.1 Pro and I will NEVER upgrade to to 10 because right now everyone who does is a guinea pig and you will experience problems.

There was a thread about this just a few weeks ago. If you have a copy of your windows 7 I would go back to that. Windows 10 is backward compatible,blah,blah,blah -- bull****!
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
jdart

Post by jdart »

Have you tried contacting ChessBase support (info@chessbase.com)?

--Jon
keres

Post by keres »

reflectionofpower wrote:
keres wrote:I upgraded my Windows 7 PRO to Windows 10 PRO and now my Chessbase 13 is not worhing properly, i can't to open my magadatabase 2015 and i've big problems to activate it! On Chessbase site i reead Windows 10 not mentioned about OS supported for this software but all is right with Deep Fritz 14. Someone can to help to me? Thanks for your reply.
I wish I could help you. I have Windows 8.1 Pro and I will NEVER upgrade to to 10 because right now everyone who does is a guinea pig and you will experience problems.

There was a thread about this just a few weeks ago. If you have a copy of your windows 7 I would go back to that. Windows 10 is backward compatible,blah,blah,blah -- bull****!
Windows 10 is a very good OS (so Windows 7) and i don't think the same about Windows 8, Chessbase has to work about a patch for Chessbase 13, then all 'll be great!
keres

Post by keres »

My Chessbase 13 is actived now, but it's not working properly, i read an error message and i can't to open a single game in megadatabase 2015 <Impossible to access to database: Base\History\Year_2015\08:06_Tue> and then an other error message <Runtime error in 22702>. I tried to repair the program, but the problem is not solved. Help me please. Thanks
reflectionofpower

keres wrote:My Chessbase 13 is actived now, but it's not working properly, i read an error message and i can't to open a single game in megadatabase 2015 <Impossible to access to database: Base\History\Year_2015\08:06_Tue> and then an other error message <Runtime error in 22702>. I tried to repair the program, but the problem is not solved. Help me please. Thanks
I was going to say something on the initial comment you made before but I knew you would get rebuffed by 10. This has nothing to do with what OS is better, it's that 10 is new and you will get hosed because you are the guinea pig. ANYONE who goes to 10 now is a just waiting to get sodomized.

Microsoft wants everyone to go to Windows 10 in the PR campaign but they don't give a rat's ass if ALL the programs work that you have. If the programs do not work it's because your programs are operating in a new & untested environment.

Chessbase will have to get to know Windows 10 inside & out before they can help people or it just might be a simple work around.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I can't help you, but I feel your pain. You have my empathy. Unfortunately you may missed the many posts about now is not the time to upgrade. Observationally , and I can look back on 30 years of PC Windows experience, there is direct correlation that the more Microsoft pushes a new software OS, the more issues you have upgrading. One reason is to sell i obviously, but the other reason is to create buzz with all those vendors that are connected to Microsoft uppdate their drivers, update their software ( and companies hate this - it costs them major bucks where they see no revenue - just to help customers like you), and because MS knows almost none of the legacy software will work unless it gets updated you try to get it to run on one those clunky compatibility modes. Meanwhile, I can take chess code that Bob wrote 20 years ago - make one change to the code and it compiles and runs cleanly for the Mac (unix based). Unix had been around for years and will never go away. It and the variations of Unix are the best OS system for PC. Apple is also growing marketshare at the expense of windows due to the iPhone sales.

My company usually wait three years after the latest software is released and all the bugs and security flaws are worked out. I would sell the machine unless you can wait for about 6-12 months for the updates to come out.

Not being smart - been there, done that. Was one often first to get a 64 bit OS for windows back in early 2006. After 12 months everything was getting back to normal , then in 2010, Microsoft pushed an update that killed my machine. Thats another post.

Very happy with my Mac regards,

Mike
keres

Post by keres »

THIS IS THE SITUATION: My Chessbase 13 is actived and now i don't see an error message when i start it, i can to open megadatabe 2015 but when i charge a single game i see two windoiws 1) <Access file denied> and i've to click "Annul"; 2) about <C:\......08-August\2015_08_07-Friday.cbh. With <ANNUL> all is opened well but i've to do this operation every time and then when i open an other database, this other icon disappear if i close and open Cessbase 13 again. Why this? Thanks for your reply
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

keres wrote:THIS IS THE SITUATION: My Chessbase 13 is actived and now i don't see an error message when i start it, i can to open megadatabe 2015 but when i charge a single game i see two windoiws 1) <Access file denied> and i've to click "Annul"; 2) about <C:\......08-August\2015_08_07-Friday.cbh. With <ANNUL> all is opened well but i've to do this operation every time and then when i open an other database, this other icon disappear if i close and open Cessbase 13 again. Why this? Thanks for your reply
This is going to be nightmare for any applications that has databases. They obviously have played with security settings on files and unless they are installed in the prescribed manner that Windows 10 requires them to be, there are going to be issues. There is going to be no easy fix here until we know what is the prescribed manner. Can you go back to Windows 7 - is that an option?
reflectionofpower

MikeB wrote:
keres wrote:THIS IS THE SITUATION: My Chessbase 13 is actived and now i don't see an error message when i start it, i can to open megadatabe 2015 but when i charge a single game i see two windoiws 1) <Access file denied> and i've to click "Annul"; 2) about <C:\......08-August\2015_08_07-Friday.cbh. With <ANNUL> all is opened well but i've to do this operation every time and then when i open an other database, this other icon disappear if i close and open Cessbase 13 again. Why this? Thanks for your reply
This is going to be nightmare for any applications that has databases. They obviously have played with security settings on files and unless they are installed in the prescribed manner that Windows 10 requires them to be, there are going to be issues. There is going to be no easy fix here until we know what is the prescribed manner. Can you go back to Windows 7 - is that an option?
That was my first response to his post. Put Windows 7 back on because as you stated it is not going to be an easy fix. MOST people will not have problems with W10 but chess nuts and people who run specialized software probably will.

I have no doubt that 10 is better than previous versions but I will not be touching that version for months if not years.

Lonnie