Losing a doctorate degree!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Losing a doctorate degree!

Post by Sean Evans »

If LOOP is found to have plagiarized Fruit, this Dr. Fritz Reul person might end up having their doctorate degree taken away.

If the non-bitboard data-structure of LOOP was also applied in Chrilly Donninger's chess machine Hydra it too has plagiarized, although unknowingly :oops:

I notice Reul did his doctorate defence as follows:
New Architectures in Computer Chess - June 17, 2009 Fritz Reul, Promotores: H.J. van den Herik, co-promotores: J. Uiterwijk
Fascinating title for his thesis, does copy and paste of Fruit mean Reul has created a "New Architecture in Computer Chess" :roll: Has he really met the criteria necessary to have a piled higher and deeper degree?

Cordially,

Sean Evans
bob

Re: Losing a doctorate degree!

Post by bob »

Sean Evans wrote:If LOOP is found to have plagiarized Fruit, this Dr. Fritz Reul person might end up having their doctorate degree taken away.

If the non-bitboard data-structure of LOOP was also applied in Chrilly Donninger's chess machine Hydra it too has plagiarized, although unknowingly :oops:

New Architectures in Computer Chess - June 17, 2009 Fritz Reul, Promotores: H.J. van den Herik, co-promotores: J. Uiterwijk
Fascinating title for his thesis, does copy and paste of Fruit mean Reul has created a "New Architecture in Computer Chess" :roll: Has he really met the criteria necessary to have a piled higher and deeper degree?

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Why don't you first read his dissertation. I have. Then try to grasp what his dissertation was about. It was not about writing a chess program. It was about testing some specific ideas. None of which appear to have anything to do with Fruit...

He could have used Crafty just as easily, and his dissertation would have been fine. Participation in ICGA events is problematic, however...
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Sean Evans wrote:If LOOP is found to have plagiarized Fruit, this Dr. Fritz Reul person might end up having his doctorate degree taken away.
Cordially,

Sean Evans
If 0 = 1 then Elvis was a turnip.

OK, I'll bite. Is there evidence that suggests that plagiarism occurred? And shouldn't this thread be in the Engine Origins forum?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Which chapter of his thesis contains anything related Fruit ? While we are at it, what is novel in Fruit so deserving of a phd topic ? As far as I can tell his research thesis was about a new architecture in cc unrelated to fruit. Fruit is hyped up so much , it seems fabien himself started to believe it nowadays ...
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Which chapter of his thesis contains anything related Fruit ? While we are at it, what is novel in Fruit so deserving of a phd topic ? As far as I can tell his research thesis was about a new architecture in cc unrelated to fruit. Fruit is hyped up so much , it seems fabien himself started to believe it nowadays ...
There are two different and unrelated issues.

If loop contains parts of Fruit, it violated ICGA rule 2 when it participated in WCCC events.

If loop contains parts of Fruit, that is almost certainly irrelevant to his Ph.D. dissertation as that was not about writing a chess engine, it was about researching some specific ideas which had nothing to do with Fruit, specifically.
diep

Post by diep »

Sean Evans wrote:If LOOP is found to have plagiarized Fruit, this Dr. Fritz Reul person might end up having their doctorate degree taken away.

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Don't do silly - i have his thesis here like from most who wrote something.
Indeed his thesis is no big deal. A bit of writing about bitboards. I can produce a thesis like this within a day or 2 at request indeed (except i wouldn't get a doctor title for it). I see not really harm in it. In germany however you can't even get a manager without PhD. In Zhermany things are very hierarchical organized you know. Line Sufferer salutes to CEO. Manager salutes to Line Manager. Teamleader to Manager and the plebs to the teamleader. Like to work in that mentality? So the important thing is to not later on go bragging that your earlier research showed something that it didn't. Any claim here that his thesis is a copy of someone else or doing a claim of something else you really need to substantiate with proof instead of just brag like a random idiot something here about losing your thesis - this is total independant from him writing over the evaluation function of Fruit 2.1 into loop list.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: If I remember in a correct way......

Post by Sylwy »

Cordially,

Sean Evans

Hello !

Years ago ICGA banned another masterpiece of Mr. Reul - List. Was in Anno Domini 2004 AC.
Right or not ?
I think prof. Hyatt knows the problem !

Here are some posts about this scandal (the old CCC forum):

http://www.stmintz.com/ccc/index.php?id=383313

Have a nice day !

SilvianR :wink:
diep

Post by diep »

Sylwy wrote:

Cordially,

Sean Evans

Hello !

Years ago ICGA banned another masterpiece of Mr. Reul - List. Was in Anno Domini 2004 AC.
Right or not ?

Have a nice day !

It was 2003 in Graz, weird you don't remember. You were there yourself as well - a lot closer to Romania :)
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Sylwy wrote:

Cordially,

Sean Evans

Hello !

Right or not ?

Have a nice day !

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Fritz+Reul

We are now pleased to announce that Mr Reul has since submitted his program code to the scrutiny of an expert approved by the ICGA tournament committee and that this expert has declared Mr. Reul’s code to be completely above board, with no sign of any copying of code from other known programs. Furthermore Mr. Reul has submitted to the ICGA an apology for what happened in 2003 (see above). The ICGA tournament committee has therefore decided unanimously to lift the suspension on Mr. Reul with immediate effect and to welcome him back for participation in future ICGA events.
London, England

David Levy
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Rebel wrote:http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Fritz+Reul

We are now pleased to announce that Mr Reul has since submitted his program code to the scrutiny of an expert approved by the ICGA tournament committee and that this expert has declared Mr. Reul’s code to be completely above board, with no sign of any copying of code from other known programs. Furthermore Mr. Reul has submitted to the ICGA an apology for what happened in 2003 (see above). The ICGA tournament committee has therefore decided unanimously to lift the suspension on Mr. Reul with immediate effect and to welcome him back for participation in future ICGA events.
London, England

David Levy
I wonder who the expert was?
gbanksnz at gmail.com