Stockfish random generator (rkiss.h)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Stockfish random generator (rkiss.h)

Post by mar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm

I'd like to ask what's the license for the random number generator routine used in latest stockfish (rkiss.h). I'd like to use it in my program (not necessarily for chess) for it seems to be very fast and very good (MT way too slow and complicated). Thanks.

Gerd Isenberg

Re: Stockfish random generator (rkiss.h)

Post by Gerd Isenberg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:53 pm

mar wrote:I'd like to ask what's the license for the random number generator routine used in latest stockfish (rkiss.h). I'd like to use it in my program (not necessarily for chess) for it seems to be very fast and very good (MT way too slow and complicated). Thanks.
A small noncryptographic pseudorandom number generator by Bob Jenkins is in the public domain. The 64-bit variant applies the same algorithm as the rkiss one by Heinz van Saaren used in Stockfish, giving credit to George Marsiglia as inventor of these kind of kiss prngs.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38313

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Stockfish random generator (rkiss.h)

Post by mar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
mar wrote:I'd like to ask what's the license for the random number generator routine used in latest stockfish (rkiss.h). I'd like to use it in my program (not necessarily for chess) for it seems to be very fast and very good (MT way too slow and complicated). Thanks.
A small noncryptographic pseudorandom number generator by Bob Jenkins is in the public domain. The 64-bit variant applies the same algorithm as the rkiss one by Heinz van Saaren used in Stockfish, giving credit to George Marsiglia as inventor of these kind of kiss prngs.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38313
I see. Thank you.