Zach, is this true?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Zach, is this true?

Post by Albert Silver »

SzG wrote:"In June 2010, Zack Wegner announced that he had acquired the rights to maintain and improve the Zappa engine. The improved engine will be competing in the 2010 WCCC under the name Rondo."
It's true. He confirmed it in another thread. I look forward to seeing it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

Awesome!

Make a commercial version.

Have the version support fixed ply as the current Zappa Mexico II does not.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:"In June 2010, Zack Wegner announced that he had acquired the rights to maintain and improve the Zappa engine. The improved engine will be competing in the 2010 WCCC under the name Rondo."

Amazing news! I cannot wait to see what changes are involved.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Robert Flesher wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Quite agreed....I will buy it at the second second it appears for sale :D
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Robert Flesher wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Yes, good news ! First improvement, Zach, " next best".
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Cheers,
Dr.D
As will I! Zappa has turned into my go to engine to practice tactics and endgame positions with. And it it stable!
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Cheers,
Dr.D
Me too!

Good to see Anthony opened his safe in Iowa :lol:
Did you work from Zappa Mexico (II) or the unreleased Zappa Cairo?

Peter
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

It is really unfortunate that Anthony stopped work on Zappa. It was one hell of an engine for its time. The scaling was unbelievable and it was a joy to analyze games with. I especially loved it for its fantastic scaling and rock solid stability. I had just built an Octa and overclocked it at 5Ghz and tried a match against R 2.3.2a ... at 16_0 it was almost a dead heat. ZMII linearly progressed with stronger hardware to a point where I think it might have surpassed R 2.3.2a. This showed when on big hardware in Mexico, ZMII did a lot better than most thought. This made Vas put a lot of effort in MP scaling abilities of R3 and he seemed to have made huge progress in leveling the playing field with R3 and of course R4 when it comes to scaling. ZMII simply can't hold up against the new strong engines, its search and evaluation are outdated. But I have no doubt that it has the structure to be one of the top 3 with very little work, especially with bigger hardware becoming more common. At the moment nothing can get close to R4 on big hardware (8 cores or more) and the ELO gap on that platform is probably twice what is being reported. I don't think R3 and R4 would have been as strong as they are if Zappa had not pushed Vas into working hard on scaling. Zappa might bring competition back again and it would be a breath of fresh air to have a legitimate original engine vying for the top again.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Albert Silver wrote:
This is good news. Zach is a talented guy and I expect that we will see interesting progress.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
This is good news. Zach is a talented guy and I expect that we will see interesting progress.
He's talented,honest & constant....he will rise quickly as a super programmer in the computer chess world :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….