Nice post in Rybka forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rolf

Re: Nice post in Rybka forum

Post by Rolf »

Steve B wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:At least my Source has a real name unlike certain engine authors.
I have a real name as well 8-)

But I fear many of the real names here or somewhere else in the net are not real names.
That is true for sure - but when you get to the stage of selling something it is totally unacceptable.

I think that is where Vas will draw the line. It was highly interesting though and I think it would have flushed out the mystery :wink:

Maybe if this is taken to court then Mr. Toby would have to give information on who the programmer was. Receiving money for something that can be shown to be illegal is quite serious, and I am quite sure the person selling had no clue of what was going on.
well a good way for him to start would be to at least try to get the Ebay listing taken down..no lawyers need ..all he has to do is report the listing
Its a fairly easy matter for Vas to complain to Ebay about the listing which i notice is still up
several times in the past there were listings for very rare and expensive dedicated chess computers that collectors could identify were not legitimate listings and nothing more then hoaxes
photos of the computers were culled from well known web sites or auction descriptions were copied word for word from prior listings
we reported the listing which generated a query from Ebay to the seller and the listing was removed

actually any registered Ebay member can report a bogus listing

look at the listing and you will see a "Report Item " link at the right of the listing just before the auction description

here is a link to report the item

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... =1&state=1

Regards
Steve
Steve, this is really thankful how you describe all the details of this clone affair. One could think that you were really cross rider against cloners.

Is it allowed to question your stand in CCC in case of the links and mentions of the totally anon jerks who presentd rolitbo?

Why is that tolerated?

Second question:

Is there a faint chance that in a potential court case by say Vas against the then known jerks, that also the CCC gets into difficulties? Could it be a sound defense to say that you had _always_ urged `Vas to show evidence but since he didnt oblige you were allowed to help the anon jerks instead?
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

I concur 100% with our teams positon on the link situation

my post regarding the Ebay auction has nothing to do with the link issue
it is a simple matter for anyone to report an Ebay auction and so i pointed this out..
if the auction is illegal then the most logical person to report the listing would be someone who has some who has some skin in the game (Vas)
Steve
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Steve B wrote:I concur 100% with our teams positon on the link situation

it is a simple matter for anyone to report an Ebay auction and so i pointed this out..
if the auction is illegal then the most logical person to report the listing would be someone who has some who has some skin in the game (Vas)
Steve
And please say something to the eventual legal aspects for CCC in that question. Is the support for anon jerks legally irrelevant or not? -Rolf
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Rolf wrote:

Steve
And please say something to the eventual legal aspects for CCC in that question. Is the support for anon jerks legally irrelevant or not? -Rolf

the mods are not lawyers..
That would be an issue for the Sponsor of this site to decide i guess
i imagine he would take down this site anytime he felt he wanted to over this or any issue
we have a charter and the mod team is enforcing the charter to the best of their ability ..
thats all we can do

Steve
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Does it matter which it is - seems like a con to get our money.
If it is Rybka, VR could initiate legal action.

If it is Robbo, he must proof his accuse before which is not easy.
If it (TT) is Robbo then it is illegal in any case because Robbo is published under GPL. So either

a) Robbo is derived from Rybka - even partially -, then VR can quite easily prove that by using his available Rybka sources, even if the version he has saved is not 1:1 R3, which makes both the publishing of Robbo under GPL and the selling of TT illegal. Or

b) Robbo is not derived from Rybka but from some other non-GPL and non-public-domain engine (i.e. commercial or with special license), which makes no difference, just someone else could prove it. Or

c) Robbo has no "reverse-engineered from non-GPL ... engine" roots and is legal GPL software. Then TT would be breaking the GPL, and it would be required at least to put TT under GPL, too, which would become funny if it were an 1:1 copy of Robbo.

Sven
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Sven Schüle wrote:If it (TT) is Robbo then it is illegal in any case because Robbo is published under GPL.
Not all versions, the first ones on the original site where published without license.
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:

Steve
There are no "legal aspects" here. One might get into trouble by deleting too much, since censorship could be an issue. But that's not what you asked about, that is the opposite in fact.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Hi Sven,
Sven Schüle wrote:If it (TT) is Robbo then it is illegal in any case because Robbo is published under GPL.
that's not correct, there is a sideline of Robbo, published by "Kranium" - that one seems to be GPLed - but the original one on the ippolit wiki is public domain - just take a look in their FAQ. Also there is no license file in the source package.

Greets, Thomas
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Thomas Mayer wrote:Hi Sven,
that's not correct, there is a sideline of Robbo, published by "Kranium" - that one seems to be GPLed - but the original one on the ippolit wiki is public domain - just take a look in their FAQ. Also there is no license file in the source package.
O.k., I stand corrected. The last time I searched for (and looked at) Robbolito sources the version published by "Kranium" seemed to be the "current" one, and some people wrote that he were the one who continued maintenance and development. I was not aware up to now that this is only a side branch.

Maybe I am not the only one who is confused by the use of different names for the same thing, or of the same name for different things. When people write "Ippolit" or "Robbolito" it is not always clear whether they really mean exactly that. For the same reason I am not sure whether you are now talking about "Robbolito" or "Igorrit".

Sven
gerold

Post by gerold »

Sven Schüle wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:Hi Sven,
O.k., I stand corrected. The last time I searched for (and looked at) Robbolito sources the version published by "Kranium" seemed to be the "current" one, and some people wrote that he were the one who continued maintenance and development. I was not aware up to now that this is only a side branch.

Maybe I am not the only one who is confused by the use of different names for the same thing, or of the same name for different things. When people write "Ippolit" or "Robbolito" it is not always clear whether they really mean exactly that. For the same reason I am not sure whether you are now talking about "Robbolito" or "Igorrit".

Sven
There are 4 difference Igorrits, Robbolito,Taskist,Toby, and difference versions of theses 4. They are all about the same
level of play. Taskist 1.2 is till the strongest of all of them.

Best,

Gerold.