Rybka 3 with new GUI: are they serious?!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Rybka 3 with new GUI: are they serious?!

Post by Jouni »

If Rybka 3 is delayed until new GUI is ready we must wait years! I think
chessok has no skills to make good interface. And do we need new one -
there is already 2 interfaces without any major flaws or missing functions...

Jouni
_wp_

Re: Rybka 3 with new GUI: are they serious?!

Post by _wp_ »

What is it - chessok? Convekta?
Last edited by _wp_ on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Jouni wrote:If Rybka 3 is delayed until new GUI is ready we must wait years! I think
chessok has no skills to make good interface. And do we need new one -
there is already 2 interfaces without any major flaws or missing functions...

Jouni
How do you know that? Besides, I am sure that even if that were true, they could always outsource the work to programmers that do have the experience.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Spock »

Well - Hiarcs 12 was no threat even to Rybka 2.3.2a on most ratings lists. The next possible threat may be Deep Fritz 11, or Deep Junior 11 if that product even exists. So apart from Vas' personal finances, it would appear there is no desperate urgency for Rybka 3
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Deep Fritz 11 is the animal to be aware of....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
ml

Post by ml »

So which engine will finally overtake Rybka? I say it will be a version of Fritz in the year 2010! But that's just a wild guess.
fern

Post by fern »

Of course we need a new one.

First, because we are bored to death with always the same flat grey squares doing the same thing
Second, because this new GUi will bring some new features that are useful and/ or entertaining for the player.
What we DO do NOT need is in fact a new engine 30 points stronger, being the current one 100 times better than any of us anyway.

Fernando
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

fern wrote:Of course we need a new one.

First, because we are bored to death with always the same flat grey squares doing the same thing
Second, because this new GUi will bring some new features that are useful and/ or entertaining for the player.

What we DO do NOT need is in fact a new engine 30 points stronger, being the current one 100 times better than any of us anyway.
No this is not correct. We need that too.
We need programs to be able to understand and solve all kind of positions. So we need their Chess understanding to increase. So since Chess understanding has obviously a direct connection with ELO increase, we need their ELO to increase.

How else they can solve NOLOT-3 in practical play time? Or find the following mate in practical time again? We need their ELO to increase!
1.Nxg5!!
[D]r2qk2r/ppp1b1pp/2n1p3/3pP1n1/3P2b1/2PB1NN1/PP4PP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 1

1.Nxd3!! mate in 13
[D]8/8/7K/8/p1p5/2Bp4/pn1N4/k3N3 w - - 0 1
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

The second one is awesome, thanks a lot George!
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

If Rybka 3 is delayed until new GUI is ready we must wait years!
How do you know that it wont be the other way around, the GUI that will wait for Rybka 3?
I think chessok has no skills to make good interface.
There's a first time for everything, but the people in ChessOk (Convekta) has made Chess Assistant nearly as long as the ChessBase-people has made ChessBase.
And for all I know, the work in progress with new GUI is going very well - they didn't start yesterday.
And do we need new one - there is already 2 interfaces without any major flaws or missing functions...
I can imagine 100's of features that could work their way in to a chess GUI, making it nearly superior.

BTW, GUI's can be many things, and you mention 2 - but I surely can't guess which you're refering to: For typical computerchess, and alot associated stuff I have the Fritz GUI, Chess Assistant, Shredder (classic coming with the Shredder engines) and Arena.
All good in their own ways, but I wouldn't say that there's no flaws or bugs in any of them, except maybe Shredder.
When it comes to functions/features all can be improved alot, but Chess Assistant is clearly the most feature-rich. I didn't mention Chessbase, since that's a database program which can't be used for computerchess.[/quote]
Henrik