Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:41 pm Is the project dead?
No, it is not :)

I have just been being in a long holiday from chess since I had some symptoms of chess phobia - perhaps caused by spending too much time and energy for chess programming in general and Banksia GUI for particular.

I have been being back to chess programming, just a bit slowly!

BTW, I have planned to change BSG to open source within a few years, far before the time I am exhausted or retired from chess, to make sure the project will never be died.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:48 pm

I have just been being in a long holiday from chess since I had some symptoms of chess phobia - perhaps caused by spending too much time and energy for chess programming in general and Banksia GUI for particular.

BTW, I have planned to change BSG to open source within a few years, far before the time I am exhausted or retired from chess, to make sure the project will never be died.
WOW Pham! Welcome back, I'm always at your services, cleaning and reordering your forum from spam, spammers and trolls, updating it and adding new contents :mrgreen:
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:48 pm

WOW Pham! Welcome back, I'm always at your services, cleaning and reordering your forum from spam, spammers and trolls, updating it and adding new contents :mrgreen:
Thank you a lot, Alex! What you did for chess in general and Banksia GUI forums in particular is amazing and highly appreciated!!! :D
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Uri Blass wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 pm I use it for my tournament but it has bugs.

In my tournaments I see sometimes that games failed to start so I do not get all games and I have no option to kill the engine that crashed in the first move and retry.

The only option I have to get the tournament again is simply to restart and hope that I am lucky and get no crash.

I know no option to add engines or remove engines from existing tournament(maybe there is and I do not know)

In my tournament smarthink 1.98 2048 nodes crashed and refused to play games 1669-1704 and these games considered as losses.
It also refused to play games 1705-1710 against smathink1.98 with 8192 nodes and more nodes but these games are considered to be a draw.

It later crashed also in games 1711-1728

smarthink 8192 nodes also crashed in games 1777-1782

I counted 66 games when engine crashed but the interface give only 61 fails for some reason.

It is probably only a problem with smarthink and not with other engines but it is also a problem of the interface because it is better to have an option to try to resume games when engine crashed in the first move later.
If an engine crashes, you don't need to kill it. You may accept that crash as a lost for that engine or you may reset it to replay the game again.
Just right-click to pop up the menu (stop the tournament first) and there are some choices, including reset crashed, and timeout games.

Basically, BSG stores all the info of a tournament in some JSON files. You may edit them directly or use the function "Edit current tournament" to edit them more easily. Even you may add some new engines for a playing tournament.

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:16 pm
Uri Blass wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:00 pm I use it for my tournament but it has bugs.

In my tournaments I see sometimes that games failed to start so I do not get all games and I have no option to kill the engine that crashed in the first move and retry.

The only option I have to get the tournament again is simply to restart and hope that I am lucky and get no crash.

I know no option to add engines or remove engines from existing tournament(maybe there is and I do not know)

In my tournament smarthink 1.98 2048 nodes crashed and refused to play games 1669-1704 and these games considered as losses.
It also refused to play games 1705-1710 against smathink1.98 with 8192 nodes and more nodes but these games are considered to be a draw.

It later crashed also in games 1711-1728

smarthink 8192 nodes also crashed in games 1777-1782

I counted 66 games when engine crashed but the interface give only 61 fails for some reason.

It is probably only a problem with smarthink and not with other engines but it is also a problem of the interface because it is better to have an option to try to resume games when engine crashed in the first move later.
If an engine crashes, you don't need to kill it. You may accept that crash as a lost for that engine or you may reset it to replay the game again.
Just right-click to pop up the menu (stop the tournament first) and there are some choices, including reset crashed, and timeout games.

Basically, BSG stores all the info of a tournament in some JSON files. You may edit them directly or use the function "Edit current tournament" to edit them more easily. Even you may add some new engines for a playing tournament.

Thanks.
I will do it later.

Another thing that I would like to have are engines with fixed setting so like engine X 8192 nodes per move that I can use only with 8192 nodes per move.

The reason is that I would like to have a rating for engine X with 8192 nodes per move and I do not want even to be able to be allowed to use it with different number of nodes per move.

It can be good if the interface allow duplicating an engine with fixed setting for the time control or for the nodes when in every tournament the engine is going to play with the fixed setting so I only need not to do mistakes in the engines that I choose for the tournament and do not need even the multi/time option(the multi/time option practically allow me limited number of 10 options when this idea can allow me more than 10 options in a tournament with different nodes.
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Is it possible to analyze manually with BanksiaGUI a game and all variations and sub-variations without crashes?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I wonder if it is possible to add engines to a round robin tournament after I already started it.
I can make a gauntlet of another engine against the engines in the tournament and add the games but it is additional work and if it is a gauntlet of some engines then it does not add the games between them.

Another question is if it is possible to remove engine from a tournament that means removing all the games of it but not removing games it did not play.

I had crashes when I tried to use concurrency more than 1 for a tournament with many games so I choose convurrency 1 for a long tournament(I guess it is a problem when there are many games and the games take few seconds so the main effort of the computer is to write the games into a file and not to play them)

Probably if I use slower time control then the risk of crash of the interface (when concurrency is bigger than 1) is smaller and the advantage in saving computer time is bigger(note that I use fixed nodes per move so no problem of losing on time).
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Uri Blass wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:55 pm I wonder if it is possible to add engines to a round robin tournament after I already started it.
I can make a gauntlet of another engine against the engines in the tournament and add the games but it is additional work and if it is a gauntlet of some engines then it does not add the games between them.

Yes, you can using Tournaments -> Actions -> Edit current tournament [choose engine to add] Add games button. Banksiagui is far better than Fritz 18, Cutechess and Arena on tournament management

Another question is if it is possible to remove engine from a tournament that means removing all the games of it but not removing games it did not play.

No

I had crashes when I tried to use concurrency more than 1 for a tournament with many games so I choose convurrency 1 for a long tournament(I guess it is a problem when there are many games and the games take few seconds so the main effort of the computer is to write the games into a file and not to play them)

Probably if I use slower time control then the risk of crash of the interface (when concurrency is bigger than 1) is smaller and the advantage in saving computer time is bigger(note that I use fixed nodes per move so no problem of losing on time).
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

AlexChess wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 amBanksiagui is far better than Fritz 18, Cutechess and Arena on tournament management
I wonder. Apart from concurrency, Arena can do everything and in a very user-friendly manner. What can Banksia do what Arena cannot?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Gabor Szots wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 am
AlexChess wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:52 amBanksiagui is far better than Fritz 18, Cutechess and Arena on tournament management
I wonder. Apart from concurrency, Arena can do everything and in a very user-friendly manner. What can Banksia do what Arena cannot?
Around 1000 things.
Try it.