Off Topic Free AntiVirus till Nov 1, 2010

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Re: Off Topic Free AntiVirus till Nov 1, 2010

Post by Nimzovik »

Yes ... I installed the SS this time. Seems to be working fine. Still tinkering with the settings. Of course I have to rescan again which took something of the order of 3.5 hours last time. Seems to be a fine program -at this point. Will continue to monitor.
opraus

Post by opraus »

I have been using and recommending MS Security Essentials for many months now, with no problems. It is also free.

Has anyone had a problem with it?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I used windows defender .... Can't hurt.....
I wonder about the comodo system cleaner. Do junk files really clutter up your system to such a dire extent? Will my chess programs run better if I cleaned my junk files? (I added the last bit about chessprograms so our thread doesn't get deleted. However I feel confident in the rapport Ted has with the admins and he started the thread. Ergo I feel somewhat safe with this O.T. thread. All hail Ted!! :wink: Can I suck up or what?)
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I must say..... Commodo replaces Avast in regard to free anti virus/firewall services IMHO. More services provided. It plays nice with others . Takes a little geting the feel of it but IMHO it provides a lot.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:I must say..... Commodo replaces Avast in regard to free anti virus/firewall services IMHO. More services provided. It plays nice with others . Takes a little geting the feel of it but IMHO it provides a lot.
I like it, else I wouldn't have recommended it. I don't use the 'sandbox', but other than that, it has been very solid.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

the free AVG 2011 is very good and simple to use.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus