Glaurung 2.1 under git

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Glaurung 2.1 under git

Post by mcostalba »

Git is a distributed version control system focused on speed, effectivity and real-world usability.

As a little showcase I have cloned Glaurung 2.1, modified a bit and pushed on http://repo.or.cz/w/glaurung_clone.git (a free git hosting site)

It took me less then 10 minutes to publish the code. Well, modifying the code took me more :wink:

From there everybody can browse the code, the patches (commitdiff link), see the history of changes togheter with their rationale and download the sources as a tarball/zipped file. Developers with write privileges can also add new patches.

I'm really no expert of chess programming but from the little I have seen you do very interesting stuff here, indeed. If I found time (I guess I need a lot) I would like to contribute in some way.

Sorry if this sounds a bit of git advertising, in this case I apologize in advance and kindly ask you to ignore the post.

Thanks
Marco
Tord Romstad

Re: Glaurung 2.1 under git

Post by Tord Romstad »

Hello Marco,

Thanks for the tip about the std::istringstream class, which I wasn't aware about. I'm a C/C++ newbie. :)

I use Darcs as the version control system for my own Glaurung development, by the way.

Tord
mcostalba

Re: Glaurung 2.1 under git

Post by mcostalba »

Hi Tord,

I am quite new to chess programming.

I have modified the code _only_ to better uderstand it. I have tried to keep the same functionality as I will keep to do also in the future, at least until I don't feel myself confident enough to try something different.

The UCI interface is the less chess related part and the easiset for me. It is also the first one I found reading the code in an execution flow oriented way.

This is what I'm actually doing (now I have just started with the search code), I am reading according to the execution flow without stick to much to the details, just to have an idea of the design, then I will reapeat all with improved detail: a kind of iterative deepening source code reading :)

I also have some questions, but I'll keep for myself until I have dig deeper, I don't want to bother you with silly things.

Marco