Java problem!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Java problem!

Post by Guenther »

Just today I noticed that none of my native WB/UCI java chess programs works anymore here.
My guess is that since the latest update 8.151 (Oct 23), which will be replaced by java 9 soon anyway, they won't be executed anymore.
Can someone confirm this with 8.151?

Guenther
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Guenther

Re: Java problem!

Post by Guenther »

SzG wrote:
Guenther wrote:Just today I noticed that none of my native WB/UCI java chess programs works anymore here.
My guess is that since the latest update 8.151 (Oct 23), which will be replaced by java 9 soon anyway, they won't be executed anymore.
Can someone confirm this with 8.151?

Guenther
My engines with 64-bit 8.151 work OK.
Really the native only engines? Just jar no Jet compiles or whatever (e.g. NOT Bagatur)
Last edited by Guenther on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Like Gabor, I have no problems running Java based engines (Chess22k 1.5, Frittle 0.4, Bagatur 1.5e, all jar versions) with the 64 bit version of Java 1.8.0_151. I am curious, are you using the 32 bit version, Guenther? And are the programs remaining in memory, or simply crashing and exiting?
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

tmokonen wrote:Like Gabor, I have no problems running Java based engines (Chess22k 1.5, Frittle 0.4, Bagatur 1.5e, all jar versions) with the 64 bit version of Java 1.8.0_151. I am curious, are you using the 32 bit version, Guenther? And are the programs remaining in memory, or simply crashing and exiting?
They simply don't load Tony.
I have Java 32 and 64 bit installed.

Oops I have a strange idea now! For more systematic naming in my installations and for my batch, which creates automatically a json file
from my wb.ini for use in cute/cute-cli I renamed some paths to engine folders e.g. .\Engines\JAVAWB to ...\WBJAVA and same for UCI.
May be the prefetch harms here!? I will check and delete all prefetch data.

Well that idea was too weird and did not help :(
WB2UCI simply says 'died on me' and Polyglot says 'file not found' despite it is there. No idea what this can be w/o any further change than path renaming a while ago. (even tried full paths, but did not help)

trollwatch:
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

My first suspicion was correct. After uninstalling all Java 8.151 installations and reinstalling 8.u141 from July
(I found a tech site offering older java archives with a simple download - unlike oracle, which also had archives
of older versions for testing, but asked for registration and practically a full biography with at least 12 mandatory fields
e.g. phone number at work at home etc....disgusting for a free download of an old thing), all java native programs work again!

Except the new Chess22k 1.6 of course ;-)

It seems java 8.151 on WIN7 behaves different otherwise I don't understand why both of you, if really tried plain jar files, don't have this problem.

Guenther

trollwatch:
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Maybe it does have something to do with the OS then. I have Windows 10.
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

tmokonen wrote:Maybe it does have something to do with the OS then. I have Windows 10.
With Java 9 all will get this problem though. Already googling about the
best way using 2 parallel installations.

trollwatch:
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

Guenther wrote: With Java 9 all will get this problem though. Already googling about the
Which engine does not work properly with Java 9? Let me have a look.
(and maybe it is better to ask java related questions in this topic instead of the chess22k 1.6 topic)
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

sandermvdb wrote:
Guenther wrote: With Java 9 all will get this problem though. Already googling about the
Which engine does not work properly with Java 9? Let me have a look.
(and maybe it is better to ask java related questions in this topic instead of the chess22k 1.6 topic)
All java native engines did not work already with 8.151 here on my machine with WIN7, like I said already in the beginning of this thread.

trollwatch:
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

Both Carballo and Fischerle (jar-files) work just fine on my pc using Java 9 with Windows 7. :?