Polyglot dump-book problem/bug/limit

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Polyglot dump-book problem/bug/limit

Post by Guenther »

During some book tests I searched for available bigger polyglot opening books and ran into a problem I did not have before.

There is the very helpful dump-book function in polyglot since the beginning and for Book_X by Adam Hair and RanomiV30 by (?),
for the first time polyglot crashed during the process.

I checked several older and newer versions and the result is the same, which is no wonder, as I believe that this part of the code
wasn't touched ever since it was created, thus the problem is imminent in all versions.

I deducted that it is not the memory problem which happens for too big pgn files, but a certain limit due to the way those books were made.
Obviously the base files for both books were not shrinked beforehand and Polyglot crashes when already writing the dump file because of too long lines
and the output file remains unfinished.

I checked the source and there seems a hard limit to a stringsize variable, which it is set to '4096'.
It would be nice if someone could compile a version with a higher limit for testing. At least I hope this is the problem.
If someone imagines another problem with very long book lines for the book-dump function please report it.

http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... ;a=summary

It would be nice if people limit the PGN files or at least use the max depth
option during book (if intended for public usage) making at least below 240 plies ;-)

Guenther

@Adam if you still have the base for your Book_X could you try to create
it again with the max-ply option?
Adam Hair

Re: Polyglot dump-book problem/bug/limit

Post by Adam Hair »

Unfortunately, the server I use for computer chess is stored away in a closet, and I have no idea when I will be able to make use of it again.