Awesome lichess :-)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Awesome lichess :-)

Post by mcostalba »

Ferdy

Re: Awesome lichess :-)

Post by Ferdy »

Cool, now Stockfish will also rule the variants :), that is one of the best servers for online games, learning, training and analysis.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Is it really any good? It's easy enough to change an engine's move generator, but that doesn't necessarily give you sensible play.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:Is it really any good? It's easy enough to change an engine's move generator, but that doesn't necessarily give you sensible play.
The most challenging variant there created from SF is atomic. All the others are easy, such as racing kings, and horde. I think they are also working on making Sf play crazyhouse. This atomic Sf is pretty good.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Indeed, a cool site, although the interface is not optimal to look at.

Just visited my first online playing chess site since maybe 10 years.

I had forgotten how to play online.

Only bad thing is that one can win their level 8 SF each and every game by just reaching move number 151.
I won couple in a row in this way in completely equal positions. SF just resigned :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Ferdy wrote:
hgm wrote:Is it really any good? It's easy enough to change an engine's move generator, but that doesn't necessarily give you sensible play.
The most challenging variant there created from SF is atomic. All the others are easy, such as racing kings, and horde. I think they are also working on making Sf play crazyhouse. This atomic Sf is pretty good.
Maybe they took a look at the code of atomkraft? A modified SF 2.1.1 engine that plays atomic (https://github.com/golmman/atomkraft).
Is their code open source?
Can't wait to see SF playing crazyhouse. That would rock. If I knew how to program well I might have done it myself since I had that idea in mind since 2013 or so.
Vladimir Xern

Post by Vladimir Xern »

Isaac wrote:
Ferdy wrote:
Maybe they took a look at the code of atomkraft? A modified SF 2.1.1 engine that plays atomic (https://github.com/golmman/atomkraft).
Is their code open source?
I have seen this linked before.

At another forum, users had compiled and competitively compared it against atomkraft, and it was said to have dominated. Take those results with a grain of salt, however. I'm not sure how much of a difference, if any, the updated Stockfish codebase they started with would have made compared to atomkraft either.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

I play mostly in chess.com. Ping from my ISP to chess.com is around 150 ms and to lichess server is around 200-250ms. That makes a big difference to me as I play 1 min per whole game.(6 sec loss due to lag vs 10 sec loss in average of 40 moves per game):P