Question: Millennium ChessGenius PRO

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Question: Millennium ChessGenius PRO

Post by Sean Evans »

Hello,

Can anyone expand upon the two opening books that come with the ChessGenius PRO?

The only information on the website states: "two 2 libraries of opening moves: the ‘Classic London Book’, with approximately 57,000 positions, and the ‘Modern Book’, with more than 100,000 positions"

Things like who built the opening books? What databases were used to create them? What openings? Are there any gambits? Can we add our own opening books or expand them?

http://www.millennium2000.de/en/chessgenius-pro

Thank you in advance.

Sean
Steve Maughan

Re: Question: Millennium ChessGenius PRO

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Sean,

Apparently the 100,000 position book is from HIARCS.

See here:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=630

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Personally I think its a pretty nice product, but they'll need a good marketing angle.

What's better about this product (going at 160 EUROs) then spending $5 on Genius for Android for instance?

I can play training games with both and the Android version may well be stronger.

I dunno....anyone explain? :)
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, I received an email back from the manufacturer as follows:
Hi Sean,

the classic london is the same book as in CG (Chess Genius) from Richard Lang, just factor 2.5 times bigger then CG.

The modern book is an up-to-date opening book with 100K positions supplied by Hiarcs. It offers completely different opening style to the machine.

The third option is to play without opening and let the machine calculate.

Best regards

Thomas Karkosch
karkosch@computerchess.com
Head of Purchasing & Product Management

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Millennium 2000 GmbH
Heisenbergbogen 1 (Dornach) D-85609 Aschheim / München

Phone: +49-89-290035-18 Fax: +49-89-290035-20
Internet: www.millennium2000.de

E-Mail: karkosch@computerchess.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Aschheim HRB München 72022
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Kfm. Maximilian Hegener
What I would like to see is the same cpu they are using in an eight-inch flat screen, similar to an iPad or Samsung Galaxy. I do not need the pieces to move around, I will use my own regulation chessboard or just the screen for travelling.

Cordially,

Sean
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Sean Evans wrote:Hello,

Can anyone expand upon the two opening books that come with the ChessGenius PRO?

The only information on the website states: "two 2 libraries of opening moves: the ‘Classic London Book’, with approximately 57,000 positions, and the ‘Modern Book’, with more than 100,000 positions"

Things like who built the opening books? What databases were used to create them? What openings? Are there any gambits? Can we add our own opening books or expand them?

http://www.millennium2000.de/en/chessgenius-pro

Thank you in advance.

Sean
Hey Sean....yeah I created a opening book for Chess Genius (called it 'modern') and imported some new games from some pgn files...chess genius real problem is it tends to play to the very end of the opening lines so it was had to gauge the strength of Chess Genius 5 or 6 or 7 due to the book. games were more interesting with the book I created and some engines like (junior thinker Ruffian etc) used their internal book (or no book at all) Genius 7 tops out at around 2450 to 2550 tops based on test match games...tournament games not available with that gui.....a shame...
AR :) :) :wink:
fern

Post by fern »

You are asking about the enigma that surrounds the entire field of chess fans of dedicated computers, like myself. We simply like a real thing in our hands instead of looking a screen. The strength factor is not that important. Besides that probably we prefer to play contrivances that at least from time to time can be beaten, which does not happens with 3000 Elo monsters.
Yes, monster can be crippled, BUT that goes against our pride.
Fern
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

The normal chess genus from millennium was 48 MHz.
The new one is 120 MHz.
The old one had hash size of 32 KB, the millennium chess genius pro has 160 KB.

So 3 times speed and 5 times the hash size.

Some bugs of the old version are corrected, e.g. The auto shut down that stopped people from using the older machine as analysis tool is now solved.

Also the press sensory surface shall now be more sensible.

Overall this sounds like a really good machine to me.

And the best you can run it on battery. So
You can use it outside.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hello fellows,

Thank you for the input :) I am surprised they do not add this info to their homepage, potential buyers might like to know it.

Cordially,

Sean
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Sean Evans wrote:Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Kfm. Maximilian Hegener
That's Max son of Manfred Hegener. I met him when he was 7 or 8 (or so).

Funny.
gordonr

Post by gordonr »

mclane wrote:And the best you can run it on battery. So
You can use it outside.
True but I noted that Millenium's page says "Due to the much faster processor we strongly recommend using the AC adaptor". I use batteries with my original model. I'm not sure what the battery life will be like for the new model. Anway, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the extra info.