New Giraffe (Sept 8)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

matthewlai

New Giraffe (Sept 8)

Post by matthewlai »

This one only has some small changes. No 100+ Elo jump like last time.

https://bitbucket.org/waterreaction/gir ... 150908.zip

Changes:
1) Score reporting is now scaled down by 1/10. Hopefully that will play better with score-based adjudication systems. Score magnitudes are now more inline with what other engines report, though it's still probabilistic.
2) Time management has been improved (thanks to Graham Banks' testing that led me to notice this). About 33 Elo gained.
3) Gaviota tablebases now supported. See https://bitbucket.org/waterreaction/giraffe for details. I want to switch to a neural-network based endgame system later, but EGTB will do for now.

By the way, Giraffe is now open source, and the thesis is now available online. See thread on the programming forum if interested - http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 136#640136

This is probably going to be the last Giraffe release for a while. I have just submitted and defended my thesis. I think my brain needs a break from working on Giraffe full time for 3 months.

Will be travelling for a few weeks before getting back to Giraffe.

Thanks
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
Graham Banks

Re: New Giraffe (Sept 8)

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Matthew. :)

Enjoy your break.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Thanks Matthew!
Marek Soszynski
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Matthew,

Thanks so much. I love your new approach and the unique chess that your neural net plays!

Don't let the Giraffe die!
fern

Post by fern »

Matthew, I still cannot make girafa works, not in Shredder gui, neither in Arena. i have used girafe 32 bit, Girafe UCI, no way.....
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

Graham Banks wrote:Thanks Matthew. :)

Enjoy your break.
Thanks for running the tests! They were very helpful!
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

Werewolf wrote:Matthew,

Thanks so much. I love your new approach and the unique chess that your neural net plays!

Don't let the Giraffe die!
I won't :). I think I'm addicted to it now...
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

fern wrote:Matthew, I still cannot make girafa works, not in Shredder gui, neither in Arena. i have used girafe 32 bit, Girafe UCI, no way.....
If you are trying to do Giraffe UCI and your machine is 32-bit, you have to edit Wb2Uci.eng, and make it refer to the 32-bit version instead.
fern

Post by fern »

Great, but, how?
I am not computer geek
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

fern wrote:Great, but, how?
I am not computer geek
Download this: https://bitbucket.org/waterreaction/gir ... ci_w32.eng

Rename it to Wb2Uci.eng

Replace the Wb2Uci.eng file in the original download with this.