Opposing the unopposed pawn

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Opposing the unopposed pawn

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

[D]r4rk1/1pp1q1pp/p2p4/3Pn3/1PP1Pp2/P7/3QB1PP/2R2RK1 b 0 1

This is about the importance of unopposed pawns (I do not how those pawns are scientifically called, but I call like that a pawn that does not have enemy pawns on the same file, and that is not a passer). Please note, that the position is composed by me, as I am no good in going around the net, searching in databases for positions from grandmaster games, as I like doing things my own way, even if they are a bit irregular, flawed, etc.

In the above position there are 2 unopposed pawns: a white one on e4, and a black one on f4. And while the white one is firmly blocked by the black knight, making even the material value of the e4 pawn insignificant, the black unopposed pawn on f4 enjoys a freedom of movement; if necessary, it could be supported by the black g pawn; and besides, an unopposed pawn close to the enemy king might be worth much higher than the usual 10 (8) cps assigned to such pawns (maybe some 20cps), as it is able to take active part in the attack upon the enemy king. So that my take is that black is significantly better. The attacking build-up could evolve by playing g5 (h5 and g4, if necessary), doubling the rooks along the f files and eventually advancing the f pawn to f3.

But, at the same time, an alternative school of thought might think white is better:
- white pawns are storming the enemy queen side, period
- white has better pawn center, period
- the bishop is stronger than the knight, as the play is on both sides
- the white rook on f1 is attacking the f4 pawn, while the black one on f8 is simply defending it, period.

To which school of thought you belong?
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Opposing the unopposed pawn

Post by lucasart »

I'm certainly not a GM or anything, but IMHO
- e4 is a liability
- f4 is much stronger

The point is that here black has a clear plan (eg. Rf7 g5 Rg7 g4 etc.)

Now what is white threatening exactly ? You mention the better pawn center and storming threat.
Sample continuation:
1.. Rf7 2. c5 dxc5
Now what should white play ? Rxc5 or bxc5 (with a nice pawn duo) ? Well, I don't know, and I wonder what good human players would choose here, and why. I like both options here: Rxc5 aims to double rooks and put pressure on c7, and bxc5 creates a nice pawn duo which maintains the pressure in the center (if queens are exchnaged white is probably better with that passed pawn threat).

Computer analysis seems to say that both sides have equal chances in this position.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Hi Lucas.
So you actually belong to neither school of thought..
1...Rf7 could be wrong, because white could simply capture the f4 pawn.
On 2.c5 I would not consider even for a portion of a second dc5. The d6 pawn should stay where it is. The plan is to play g5, Rf7, Raf8, g4 and possibly Rg7 in some lines. For me, black is certainly better, but the problem with chess is that you have not only to recognize patterns, but rely on very specific variations.
lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Hi Lucas.
On 2.c5 I would not consider even for a portion of a second dc5. The d6 pawn should stay where it is. The plan is to play g5, Rf7, Raf8, g4 and possibly Rg7 in some lines. For me, black is certainly better, but the problem with chess is that you have not only to recognize patterns, but rely on very specific variations.
Rf7! is correct, and a nice tactical move. For example:
1.. Rf7! 2. Rxf4 Qg5!
[d]r5k1/1pp2rpp/p2p4/3Pn1q1/1PP1PR2/P7/3QB1PP/2R3K1 w - - 1 3
Now white's rook is skewed, and there's no better defense than 3. g3 Ng6, and white loses the exchange (and gets in trouble too).

But the plan is the same, whether you play Rf7 (with a trap if white falls for it) and then g5, or g5 first, is probably the same (assuming white plays correctly).

I don't know about which school I belong. The point is that I never "went to school", and just learnt chess playing over the board. Intuitively, I like black's position, and would prefer to play with the black pieces here. But most likely, with perfect play on both sides, this position is still a draw. The point is that I don't play perfect chess, and this position with black gives me nice ideas and plans :D
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

lucasart wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Hi Lucas.
Rf7! is correct, and a nice tactical move. For example:
1.. Rf7! 2. Rxf4 Qg5!
[d]r5k1/1pp2rpp/p2p4/3Pn1q1/1PP1PR2/P7/3QB1PP/2R3K1 w - - 1 3
Now white's rook is skewed, and there's no better defense than 3. g3 Ng6, and white loses the exchange (and gets in trouble too).

But the plan is the same, whether you play Rf7 (with a trap if white falls for it) and then g5, or g5 first, is probably the same (assuming white plays correctly).

I don't know about which school I belong. The point is that I never "went to school", and just learnt chess playing over the board. Intuitively, I like black's position, and would prefer to play with the black pieces here. But most likely, with perfect play on both sides, this position is still a draw. The point is that I don't play perfect chess, and this position with black gives me nice ideas and plans :D
Hi Lucas.
You beguiled me by suggesting to play c5 and then dc5 for black. I thought you were quite weak, but actually you play like an engine :)

Surely, I would not have thought of playing Rf4, if I knew I am playing against a stronger opponent. I missed Ng6, but only because you beguiled me:) Actually, for a human, Ng6 is a difficult move - humans are sticking to some patterns, and the pattern here is that the black knight should be attacking, and you would be surprised that the knight could also make retreating moves - patterns by which engines are undisturbed.

Still, the point is that here black should be winning. I would be glad if there was an engine that would show a full point advantage in favour of black - because this is the reality, black is winning, it is a full pawn up, the f4 pawn will gradually become a passer, while, as the white pawn on e4 can not move, it is actually absolutely unimportant and does not take whatsoever role in the events on the board. And this will remain so for an awful amount of time, so that black can gradually prepare a devstating attack.

Again, that is the point - black is winning here, but from my experience based on playing similar structures against strongest engines with the black pieces, I know that engines DO NOT EVALUATE CORRECTLY such positions. So there must be something wrong in their code, that certainly could be improved.

And please note, that the position is very simple indeed, there is not plenty of place for intermediate solutions, you can actually solve the position by computing power, and you will know black is winning.

Lyudmil
lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Actually, for a human, Ng6 is a difficult move - humans are sticking to some patterns, and the pattern here is that the black knight should be attacking, and you would be surprised that the knight could also make retreating moves - patterns by which engines are undisturbed.
After 1.. Rf7 Rxf4?
[d]r5k1/1pp1qrpp/p2p4/3Pn3/1PP1PR2/P7/3QB1PP/2R3K1 b - - 0 2
I think Qg5 Ng6 is a very human pattern:
- Qg5 pins the rook
- Ng6 skews it! It is intuitively obvious without calculation that white loses the exchange, at least...
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Still, the point is that here black should be winning. I would be glad if there was an engine that would show a full point advantage in favour of black - because this is the reality, black is winning, it is a full pawn up, the f4 pawn will gradually become a passer, while, as the white pawn on e4 can not move, it is actually absolutely unimportant and does not take whatsoever role in the events on the board. And this will remain so for an awful amount of time, so that black can gradually prepare a devstating attack.

Again, that is the point - black is winning here, but from my experience based on playing similar structures against strongest engines with the black pieces, I know that engines DO NOT EVALUATE CORRECTLY such positions. So there must be something wrong in their code, that certainly could be improved.

And please note, that the position is very simple indeed, there is not plenty of place for intermediate solutions, you can actually solve the position by computing power, and you will know black is winning.

Lyudmil
I agree with the fact that engines misevaluate this, as they give an equal score typically, when the scale should tip slightly in black's favor.

But I really doubt it's a *win* for black. Engines are much stronger at defending, and finding impossible Houdini escape routes than humans are. Try to win this against top engines, you will be amazed at how the computer manages to slip off your hands like a slipperry fish.

Saying that it's a *win* for black, means that black can force the win even if white plays *perfect* chess. I think that goes way too far into speculation. Probably *humans*, because of their playing style (they rarely find the best moves when best moves don't follow a plan, unlike computers who don't care) would have trouble with the white pieces. But that's all we can say (unless someone can expose that winning strategy by beating all the top engines in this position with black pieces).
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Hi Lucas.
Why do you post that diagram time and again - to tease me?:)
I am very bad when I am unable to concentrate, and my strength surprisingly increases when I concentrate properly. Sometimes you are just unable to concentrate.

Pins and skews are what computers are masters of, and not humans.
If you move the black rook to f8 instead of f7, the Qg5 pin already loses (the queen) because of Rf8. So it is a matter of details. It is much more difficult to compute details than patterns. Patterns are usually helpful in computing better, but knowing one thousand patterns is much easier than calculating hundred thousand particular lines.

Here the problem is with the pattern - black is a full pawn up (as the white pawn on e4 does not matter at all), surely winning. And I am sure many engines would know this, if they knew the pattern is winning, or if they were able to play the position a couple of moves on. You can actually make the experiment yourself, by matching some engines, at the displayed position, and at the position arising, for example, after, 1...Rf7 (certainly the best move) 2. c5 g5 3. Rc3 Raf8 4. c6 b5 5. Kh1 g4

[D]5rk1/2p1qr1p/p1Pp4/1p1Pn3/1P2Ppp1/P1R5/3QB1PP/5R1K w 0 1

I am sure here engines will be more optimistic for black's winning chances.

Best, Lyudmil

PS. Why did you switch from Windaube to Yoda?
lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: You can actually make the experiment yourself, by matching some engines, at the displayed position, and at the position arising, for example, after, 1...Rf7 (certainly the best move) 2. c5 g5 3. Rc3 Raf8 4. c6 b5 5. Kh1 g4
I don't know what's best for white here. But certainly waiting is not an option, and that c6 you propose is even worse (white cramps the queen side and makes sure he is passively defending the rest of the game). If I was white in this position, i would play c5 followed with cxd, and double rooks on the c file, aiming for a rook on c7, for the sole purpose of exchanging material and playing for a cowardly draw. Well I don't know if it works, but that my lame 1600 elo plan :oops:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: PS. Why did you switch from Windaube to Yoda?
I don't know, maybe some Windows fans (who understand French) would have got offended...