Nebula 1.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dragan

Nebula 1.0 released

Post by Dragan »

You can download my engine Nebula from this web site:
https://sites.google.com/site/nebulachess

Nebula has been written from scratch by myself. I started this spring with an empty editor page and didn't look at any open source programs during the development. This blackout will continue as long as I am developing the engine.
Of course before I decided to develop my own engine I did look at all available open source programs and learned from them.
The engine is currently not very strong, but considering how basic the current eval and search are, it plays pretty good.

Well known people who contribute to computer chess by running tournaments and rating lists can message me if they wish to get the source code.

I hope CCRL and CEGT will test my engine and hope to see it playing in some tournaments. It will give me motivation to continue improving it.

Cheers,
Dragan
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Re: Nebula 1.0 released

Post by tjfroh »

Thank you,

TJF
Dragan wrote:You can download my engine Nebula from this web site:
https://sites.google.com/site/nebulachess

Nebula has been written from scratch by myself. I started this spring with an empty editor page and didn't look at any open source programs during the development. This blackout will continue as long as I am developing the engine.
Of course before I decided to develop my own engine I did look at all available open source programs and learned from them.
The engine is currently not very strong, but considering how basic the current eval and search are, it plays pretty good.

Well known people who contribute to computer chess by running tournaments and rating lists can message me if they wish to get the source code.

I hope CCRL and CEGT will test my engine and hope to see it playing in some tournaments. It will give me motivation to continue improving it.

Cheers,
Dragan
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

SzG wrote:EDIT: Oops, I tried to run it on a 32-bit Win XP system (yes, the 32-bit version) but it refused to start. Does it require some additional files or a certain background?
Same with me.

Regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
gerold

Post by gerold »

Thank you. Working good in Arena . I added a book for it to use.

Best,
Gerold.
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Nebula is compiled for the SSE CPU architecture.
Not sure it will work on the very old machines. I tested it on my ancient laptop (Core2Duo) and it works fine.
Do you have Intel or AMD?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dragan wrote:Nebula is compiled for the SSE CPU architecture.
Not sure it will work on the very old machines. I tested it on my ancient laptop (Core2Duo) and it works fine.
Do you have Intel or AMD?
A non-SSE version for both 64-bit and 32-bit would probably be good if you can compile them. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

SzG wrote:Could you please give a rough assessment of its playing strength to make it easier for me to select appropriate opponents?
Dragan - some idea as to Nebula's strength would be useful as Gabor suggests. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Intel E6550 supports SSE2, so it should be working fine on it.
I added nosse 32-bit version, so could you please try using that one.

There is no nosse option for 64-bit compiles, so the 64-bit version should be working on all 64-bit processors.
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Nebula's ELO should be close to Hermann, GreKo, Delphil, Glass, Gaviota etc.
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

I added Chess960 versions to the download package if someone is interested in this variant.
It should work with both Arena and Shredder type FENs.