Sjeng 11.2 and suicide chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michel

Sjeng 11.2 and suicide chess

Post by Michel »

I have currently implemented wild support in icsdrone. I think it is working well.

I am trying to make sjeng 11.2 play suicide chess on FICS. It works from icsdrone's side. However sjeng sometimes fails to produce a move resulting in a time loss. It is not a buffer issue as I put a test print in sjeng to verify this. There is really no move.

Is this a known issue? Are there versions of sjeng 11.2 that do not have this defect? If not are there other free engines that play suicide chess?

Currently I make sjeng resign when it returns no move, which is slightly more friendly to the opponent.
Daniel Shawul

Re: Sjeng 11.2 and suicide chess

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Ofcourse Nebiyu plays suicide chess, maybe not as strong as sjeng but you wouldn't care.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Great!

I noticed that Nebiyu seems to reject promotion to king. Can you check?
Angrim
Full name: Ben Nye

Post by Angrim »

suicide wizard is also free. windows only though.
I think it can be found here(I haven't tried downloading it)
http://poincare.matf.bg.ac.rs/~andrew// ... ard3_1.htm
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Michel wrote:Great!

I noticed that Nebiyu seems to reject promotion to king. Can you check?
Yes you are right. I have no code for that. I may have also missed some other rules because sometimes it becomes too much to handle with all those variants.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Do you think you can fix it? FICS is quite tolerant but on ICC you get rate banned when your engine hangs. Promotion to king seems to happen surprisingly often in suicide chess.

Probably icsdrone should have an option to resign when the engine rejects a move or when the ICS rejects an engine move, since it is not possible to recover from that.

PS. I noticed that Nebiyu does not include losers, atomic and crazyhouse. Any plans to support those?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Do you think you can fix it? FICS is quite tolerant but on ICC you get rate banned when your engine hangs. Promotion to king seems to happen surprisingly often in suicide chess.
I already fixed it so I will upload it later.
Probably icsdrone should have an option to resign when the engine rejects a move or when the ICS rejects an engine move, since it is not possible to recover from that.

PS. I noticed that Nebiyu does not include losers, atomic and crazyhouse. Any plans to support those?
NebiyuChess supports suicide and giveaway chess. The rules of 'loser' variants are confusing depending on where you look at. I think only stalemate rule differ in suicide and giveaway chess. In general, I tried to stick to rules provided on FICS since that is where I usually test.
Atomic and crazyhouse are also supported but not in NebiyuChess. NebiyuAlien has all the variants with holdings and other crazy rules: atomic,crazyhouse,shogi etc
Michel

Post by Michel »

Thanks a lot.
In general, I tried to stick to rules provided on FICS since that is where I usually test.
Well losers is an official FICS variant....
Atomic and crazyhouse are also supported but not in NebiyuChess. NebiyuAlien has all the variants with holdings and other crazy rules: atomic,crazyhouse,shogi etc
Aha! I'll take a look. Although icsdrone does not support the alien extension of the winboard protocol yet. Has it been formalized?

Also I would need a kind of adapter which uses either NebiyuChess or NebiyuAlien depending on the variant requested. Such a thing might be indepedently useful though.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Michel wrote:
Thanks a lot.
In general, I tried to stick to rules provided on FICS since that is where I usually test.
Well losers is an official FICS variant....
I see. I must have found the rule a bit difficult to implement..
Aha! I'll take a look. Although icsdrone does not support the alien extension of the winboard protocol yet. Has it been formalized?
IIRC it is possible to match alien engines with standard. The difference is only that alien updates board and there is no rule checking.
Also I would need a kind of adapter which uses either NebiyuChess or NebiyuAlien depending on the variant requested. Such a thing might be indepedently useful though.
It definately helps if the all were in the same exe, but my code right now is very specific for variants stemming from the same branch. My final goal is to put everything into alien but it will take some time to reach there.