Chess Database with Age-Information?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Chess Database with Age-Information?

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

Hi all,

I have a database problem and hope somebody may be able to help out...
Is there a chess game database available where it is possible to display the age of the players?
In particular, I have the following problem. I want to calculate the win/loss/draw percentage of chess players with increasing age. However, I cannot find a way to combine the personal data from players (e.g. from FIDE list, CB Playbase etc..) with a game database. There must be a program/database that is able to display and export the age/birthday, together with the game score. Or maybe there is a way to export the birthday information from one list and to combine it in a spreadsheet for further calculations etc..?
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
Uri Blass

Re: Chess Database with Age-Information?

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:Hi all,

I have a database problem and hope somebody may be able to help out...
Is there a chess game database available where it is possible to display the age of the players?
In particular, I have the following problem. I want to calculate the win/loss/draw percentage of chess players with increasing age. However, I cannot find a way to combine the personal data from players (e.g. from FIDE list, CB Playbase etc..) with a game database. There must be a program/database that is able to display and export the age/birthday, together with the game score. Or maybe there is a way to export the birthday information from one list and to combine it in a spreadsheet for further calculations etc..?
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Axel
I guess that there are cases when the age is not known.

Here is an example for a player that has no birth year in the fide list

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2807882
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Jose (http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/) can read pgn and produces a mysql database. The fide player list contains name and year of birth in a tab-separated list and should be possible to import. Eventually build a sql query somewhat like:

Code: Select all

SELECT player.playername, game.gameresult, [game]![gameyear]-[player]![playerbirth] AS age
FROM game, player
WHERE (([player]![playername]=[game]![gamewhite] Or [player]![playername]=[game]![gameblack]));
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Edmund wrote:Jose (http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/) can read pgn and produces a mysql database. The fide player list contains name and year of birth in a tab-separated list and should be possible to import. Eventually build a sql query somewhat like:

SELECT player.playername, game.gameresult, [game]![gameyear]-[player]![playerbirth] AS age
FROM game, player
WHERE (([player]![playername]=[game]![gamewhite] Or [player]![playername]=[game]![gameblack]));
I cant get Jose to load pgn files on my new box. When i import an pgn i get this message (in errror.log)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no mysqlje in java.library.path
I seem to have mysql-connector-java installed.
Hmm - but its a different package isnt it. Ok, building mysqlje is tough.
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

Edmund wrote:Jose (http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/) can read pgn and produces a mysql database. The fide player list contains name and year of birth in a tab-separated list and should be possible to import. Eventually build a sql query somewhat like:

FROM game, player
Thanks you for your help. I have to look closer into it. Unfortunately I'm not experienced with mysql databases. Any hints how to start?

Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:

FROM game, player
Thanks you for your help. I have to look closer into it. Unfortunately I'm not experienced with mysql databases. Any hints how to start?

Axel
Depends on where you are coming from. It is quite simple/common to link to mysql databases from php code. I personally have made quite good experiences with this tool http://www.chsoftware.net/en/mowes/mowe ... /mowes.htm. It out of the box sets up a local php+mysql server for you to experiment with. It also installs a nice plugin called phpMyAdmin, a GUI to administrate the database.
There are also libraries to link C++ or other programming languages to mysql. But I never tried that.
If it is SQL you are not familiar with thats a more general subject to look closer into.