Glass 1.9 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edmund

Glass 1.9 released

Post by Edmund »

Glass 1.9 by Pawel Koziol and Edmund Moshammer can be downloaded from
http://www.marittima.pl/glass

After a longer break I am today glad to announce a new release of the Glass chess engine.

Most notable changes:
- Learning
Once a position has been searched the result gets stored in the file “glass.ln” in the same folder as the executable. This is very helpful when repeatedly playing against the same opponents as well as when analyzing a position and continuously jumping backwards and forwards in the game line. Learning can be disabled through the options.
- UCI Only
Glass 1.9 no longer supports xboard protocol, but only UCI. Pawel and I took this decision because it is less error prone maintaining just one protocol and also because most GUIs support UCI now anyway.
- Personality File Syntax change
The syntax in the default.ini and personality files has been made compliant with the uci option parsing specification. Please replace your old files with the new versions and if you have made any modifications, please check that they are still working.
- Popcount Compile
We have added an additional executable called Glass_Release_x64_popcnt.exe. If your processor supports the popcount instruction please use this executable for some significant speed gains over the default version.
- NPS Command
Use the NPS option to reduce the number of nodes searched per second. 0 is unlimited. Setting this to a lower amount will also reduce the processor load.
- Timemanagement improved
Earlier versions used to loose on time with incremental time controls. This bug has been fixed. Additionally Glass now also calculates the communication latency between GUI and engine to further improve the time management.
- Various bugfixes
Other bugs have been spotted and fixed. Some of them were of critical nature that might have caused system crashes.

Thanks to the many community inputs that inspired us for some of the changes.

As usual Glass comes with its own book. For engine testing please use the “Glass_Release” versions. For human – engine play use the "Glass_Weak" version to experience the full configurability of the engine and also try out all the personalities. The personalities are described in detail in the enclosed documentation.
Graham Banks

Re: Glass 1.9 released

Post by Graham Banks »

Edmund wrote:Glass 1.9 by Pawel Koziol and Edmund Moshammer can be downloaded from
http://www.marittima.pl/glass

After a longer break I am today glad to announce a new release of the Glass chess engine.
Thanks to you both. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Bram Visser

Post by Bram Visser »

Sounds like a fun engine. I'll test it, thanks !
gerold

Post by gerold »

Thanks Edmund and Pawel.

Best,
Gerold.
fern

Post by fern »

downloaded, but it says 1.7 when loaded in sh. GUI

f
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

fern wrote:downloaded, but it says 1.7 when loaded in sh. GUI

f
hello fernando

this shouldn't be the case - I just rechecked it. Maybe it is also a caching issue on your side, where you are still loading an outdated version of our website. You can avoid that either by refreshing the page or downloading the file from the direct link:
http://www.koziol.home.pl/marittima/glass/glass_1.9.zip
fern

Post by fern »

I erased every glass file before to download the last one, but still appears as 1.7 in my comp....
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

I just downloaded from the link, ran Glass_Release_x86.exe and had...

Code: Select all

Glass 1.9 UCI chess engine
by Edmund Moshammer and Pawel Koziol
Built Jul  6 2012, 17:46:15

Opening Book: 84489 entries loaded
info string Loading ini file 'default.ini'
uci
id name Glass 1.9
id author Pawel Koziol and Edmund Moshammer
Seems ok to me
fern

Post by fern »

Problem solved. There was a short circuit between two files of mine in different disks but with the same name.

Thanks for your interest.
Fern