TCEC - general interest?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Would you like TCEC to return?

Yes, and I'd donate funds for newer hardware as well
10%
Yes, like it was before with the same hardware so no donations
63%
No, not really
8%
I don't know what TCEC is/was
19%

Total votes: 104

yanquis1972

Re: TCEC - general interest?

Post by yanquis1972 »

Houdini wrote:Hello Martin, I voted for the first option, but your "old" hardware (an overclocked 6-core i7) is still very much OK.
More than a year after your retirement, the TCEC tournament experience has still not been duplicated. The return of your outstanding tournament would be welcomed by everyone!

Robert
agreed. in addition to the 'regulars', who were always great when i was there, it was a lot of fun having most (?) of the engine authors stopping by & commenting on their games (and games of others). i voted for the second option; don't even have the spare funds right now for a chess program & the h/w was already far more than adequate imo, & still is. heck i'd be plenty happy with a basic i7 920 -- the big hardware does definitely add to the experience as it's something most of us can't just replicate, but the communal experience was the key i think.

definitely think it should wait for till october (arguably the 3 best engines could be updated this month), but otherwise here's hoping this can get rolling ASAP.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

+2 :)
Dschmitt

Post by Dschmitt »

Sounds like it was an interesting event; I'm sorry I missed the first one. I say do it again! I would have voted for option 4.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Welcome to CCC, Daniel. Yeah, TCEC was great by all accounts.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

As programmer of the GUI used in TCEC, I was privileged (together with some engine programmers) to have a free premium account.
Thank you, ChessBomb !
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

I didn 't vote, but what is TCEC?
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

jshriver wrote:I didn 't vote, but what is TCEC?
Thoresen Chess Engine Competition, ran by Martin Thoresen. Martin had a website that broadcasted the games (via pgn4web and ChessGUI) and provided statistics. Others here can give more details.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Something's brewing...
geots

Post by geots »

Very simple answer. No problem with it if Houdini and Rybka are allowed. If both are not- you can flush the thing down the toilet for all I care. I have had a stomach full of tournaments with also-rans and no competition worth mentioning- and the winner who is barely in the top 25 claiming his is "the world championship program."

george
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Looking forward to a nice brew :)