TCEC - general interest?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Would you like TCEC to return?

Yes, and I'd donate funds for newer hardware as well
10%
Yes, like it was before with the same hardware so no donations
63%
No, not really
8%
I don't know what TCEC is/was
19%

Total votes: 104

Edmund

Re: TCEC - general interest?

Post by Edmund »

I don't understand anyone voting for "no" here.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Martin Thoresen wrote:Hello,

Just a quick poll to see what the current interest is for a resurrection of TCEC.
Obviously yes.
But you don't have to get so angry sometimes, with members who think or ask things, and are of different opinion.

I personally most like to see the engines which are closest to the top, but equality (to programmers) doesn't really matter so much to many spectators who are more interested to see how the very top ones do in every situation, and all the others are most interesting, when compared face to face with that which IS considered the top or second to top.
It is interesting to see how the very tops deal with all kinds of chess problems posed by the other programs. So it IS out of chess interest, not instead of a rating list.
It is also very good to discuss games in real time with other chess experienced viewers, and comparing ones own thoughts with them and with the analizing engine etc.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

I have contributed in the past and I will contribute again.
Will you allow all the top programs in the tournament?
If not which programs will you not allow?
thanks
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

S.Taylor wrote: Obviously yes.
But you don't have to get so angry sometimes, with members who think or ask things, and are of different opinion.
Hi,

Different opinions or different thoughts is not a problem to me at all.

Personal attacks however, are. If someone are so annoyed by the rules I set and which were (in majority) voted for by the TCEC forum members, they should just leave the chat instead of attacking me in public.

(this was in reference to the sometimes "heated" discussions over at ChessBomb)
Martin Thoresen

kgburcham wrote:I have contributed in the past and I will contribute again.
Will you allow all the top programs in the tournament?
If not which programs will you not allow?
thanks
Hi!

I have not thought of this yet. I see no reason for excluding any programs though, however if things haven't changed since before I doubt I'll include for example both Ivanhoe and Fire etc. I would appreciate an update on this matter. :)

I've sent you a PM.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: Obviously yes.
Hi,

Different opinions or different thoughts is not a problem to me at all.

Personal attacks however, are. If someone are so annoyed by the rules I set and which were (in majority) voted for by the TCEC forum members, they should just leave the chat instead of attacking me in public.

(this was in reference to the sometimes "heated" discussions over at ChessBomb)
I sincerely apologise for anything i may have done, which was seen in that way.
I may not have realized it, or what it felt like to you. But i never would have done anything hurtful had i realized (maybe i thought some things i said were OK, but were not).
If you have a momment, you may like to PM me any important examples of this, so i can better correct myself.
Regards!
Martin Thoresen

S.Taylor wrote: If you have a momment, you may like to PM me any important examples of this, so i can better correct myself.
Regards!
I was not thinking of you. :)
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Hello Martin, I voted for the first option, but your "old" hardware (an overclocked 6-core i7) is still very much OK.
More than a year after your retirement, the TCEC tournament experience has still not been duplicated. The return of your outstanding tournament would be welcomed by everyone!

Robert
voyagerOne

Post by voyagerOne »

I voted the second option.

The games were very exciting to watch...pure logical art, your original hardware is more than sufficient.

Not only that, but the chat was very interesting...TCEC attracted chess theorists, programmers, GMs, etc...

I learned a great deal from your event...as this inspired me to create my own engine...

Thanks for that!
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

Hi Martin,
what are your thoughts now about a resurrection of TCEC ?

I'm (and for sure many of us) very interested to see TCEC again.

Regards