Abulafia, chess, Haskell and some (new?) ideas

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nionita

Abulafia, chess, Haskell and some (new?) ideas

Post by nionita »

Hello,

I discovered more than 2 years ago this world of chess engines and short after I begun to work on my own engine - in Haskell. Haskell is a functional (pure, lazy) programming language and I wanted to see how good it is for such a job. My engine is called Abulafia and it's still very weak, but I had much fun (and sometimes much hassle) working on it. Anyway, most of the work is based on knowledge from this forum and from the chess programming wiki - for which I also want to thank you and all those which contribute to the wiki. I hope to release some day an acceptable version of the program (which of course will be open source).

Beside this, I had 3 ideas which go a little beyond of what is currently state of the art in chess programming and I wanted to present those ideas to you, first to see if somebody else had tried something similar, and second to see what you think about them. Actually 2 of them are more or less easy to implement, and I will probably try them soon enough after Abulafia reaches some stable phase. The third one is more a vision which I cannot imagine could be realized before the next 5-6 years (but who knows?).

I will call them:
- multi dimensional score
- bi dimensional static evaluation
- theorem proving positional evaluation

If some similar ideas exist, please point me to the correct names. I will describe them in 3 different threads, as I need some space for all of them. Further this will make easier to follow the discussions.