Homebrew Cray-1A

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Max

Homebrew Cray-1A

Post by Max »

***** If Anyone has any Cray-1 software, please contact me!! If you work at one of the National Labs, please take a look!****
Maybe Bob can help this man and his homebrew FPGA Cray with some old Cray-Blitz tapes? :D

-Max
IanO

Re: Homebrew Cray-1A

Post by IanO »

This is beyond awesome. The 1/10 scale Cray tower to house it really pulls it together. Bob, did Cray Blitz even run on first-generation Cray hardware? It is sad that the guy can't find any archived software of any kind that ran on that platform.
bob

Post by bob »

Max wrote:
***** If Anyone has any Cray-1 software, please contact me!! If you work at one of the National Labs, please take a look!****
Maybe Bob can help this man and his homebrew FPGA Cray with some old Cray-Blitz tapes? :D

-Max
I sent him an email earlier this morning. Ken Thompson had spotted this and sent me an alert. A couple of points.

First one (interestin) is that this is a _small_ Cray, once you get down to the final pictures and appreciate that it sits on a desk. :)

Second is that I am not sure Cray Blitz will work. He explicitly mentioned he had not implemented the exchange-packet hardware stuff, which means no interrupts. And that means the standard Cray Unicos system won't run, which means no CFT (Fortran compiler), CAL (assembler). So I am not yet sure exactly what he has working. More later...

It is not very fast, btw. Original Cray-1 was 80mhz, this is only 33.
bob

Post by bob »

Yes it did. For those that have visited me here at UAB, I have a photo I took at Cray Research (Mendota Heights MN) that has the sortware development Cray-1 serial number 12 with my self-built electronic chess board and clock sitting in front of it. I started running on a Cray-1 in 1980 for the Cray Blitz project, and ran on everything they made beyond that point, cray-1s, cray-xmp, cray-ymp, cray-C90 and finally the Cray T90.