Sjeng - Rybka in WCRCC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Sjeng - Rybka in WCRCC

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Hey,

I'm posting here because due to the ICC changes I'm unable to directly follow the games or communicate to the TD or anyone else for that matter. All my info comes from relaying through Suj.

Below is what happened from my POV (taking into account the above):

During the Sjeng - Rybka game, Rybka crashed several times. After the last reconnect, it then appeared hung but eventually moved after a very long think. The TD informed us that Rybka had crashed 3 times and asked us if we could confirm this and if we wanted to claim the win. The Rybka operator (Lukas) was reportedly claiming they had only disconnected once. Suj was not experienced enough with ICC and asked me what to do. I informed them I only got 2 games emailed from ICC, which should indicate they disconnected only twice, but that I expect the rules to be followed if they disconnected 3 times. I asked if I could check my logfiles, but this requires disconnecting Sjeng, and we were informed this would count as a disconnection pro Rybka, so we did not do this. After a while, the TD informed us that according to the ICC admins Rybka disconnected twice, and so we payed no further attention to this matter.

However, I see now that the Rybka guys posted the following on their forum:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=18194
During the game against Sjeng suddenly the fuse of my room blew. Usually this is no problem as I've got 2 UPSs. But the blown fuse was caused by one of my computers - a power supply died causing a short-circuit. The fuse of that power supply blew, but before it did half of my computers and my modem had no power for a very short time. This only caused one computer to reboot, the others still worked. But my internet connection was gone. It took me 3 tries to reconnect which caused a discussion whether my game should be forfeit. Some people demanded this but GCP didn't. At that time the draw was already inevitable, so this event had no effect on the result of the game.
I want to make this very clear: I expect the rules to be followed and they clearly say: "On the third disconnect the match is forfeit." The only reason why we did not claim a win in this game was that we were informed by the TD that we had no ground for doing so. I certainly have no intention of handing out presents to my closest competitors, and to do so now would be very unfair to everyone else I ever played.
CRoberson

Re: Sjeng - Rybka in WCRCC

Post by CRoberson »

His statement is that it took him 3 tries to reconnect. That doesn't necessarily mean that incurred 3 disconnects. The admins reviewed the logs and the game was interrupted twice. Yesterday, Suj told me that your logs revealed only 2 disconnects by Rybka. So, I don't see the issue.

There was much confusion due to spectators yelling about the number of disconnects but the game was interrupted only twice. Also, Rybka restarted the game within the allowed number of minutes.

I know things got confusing and a bit heated, but I believe all went according to the rules. I don't have a problem with competitors losing games due to rule infractions. Rybka has lost games in ACCA events before due to the rules.
Michael J Fitch

Post by Michael J Fitch »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Hey,

I'm posting here because due to the ICC changes I'm unable to directly follow the games or communicate to the TD or anyone else for that matter. All my info comes from relaying through Suj.

Below is what happened from my POV (taking into account the above):

During the Sjeng - Rybka game, Rybka crashed several times. After the last reconnect, it then appeared hung but eventually moved after a very long think. The TD informed us that Rybka had crashed 3 times and asked us if we could confirm this and if we wanted to claim the win. The Rybka operator (Lukas) was reportedly claiming they had only disconnected once. Suj was not experienced enough with ICC and asked me what to do. I informed them I only got 2 games emailed from ICC, which should indicate they disconnected only twice, but that I expect the rules to be followed if they disconnected 3 times. I asked if I could check my logfiles, but this requires disconnecting Sjeng, and we were informed this would count as a disconnection pro Rybka, so we did not do this. After a while, the TD informed us that according to the ICC admins Rybka disconnected twice, and so we payed no further attention to this matter.

However, I see now that the Rybka guys posted the following on their forum:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=18194
During the game against Sjeng suddenly the fuse of my room blew. Usually this is no problem as I've got 2 UPSs. But the blown fuse was caused by one of my computers - a power supply died causing a short-circuit. The fuse of that power supply blew, but before it did half of my computers and my modem had no power for a very short time. This only caused one computer to reboot, the others still worked. But my internet connection was gone. It took me 3 tries to reconnect which caused a discussion whether my game should be forfeit. Some people demanded this but GCP didn't. At that time the draw was already inevitable, so this event had no effect on the result of the game.
I want to make this very clear: I expect the rules to be followed and they clearly say: "On the third disconnect the match is forfeit." The only reason why we did not claim a win in this game was that we were informed by the TD that we had no ground for doing so. I certainly have no intention of handing out presents to my closest competitors, and to do so now would be very unfair to everyone else I ever played.
((( Is english you third language? The TD states they only disconnected 2 times, and the Rybka team state "it took them 3 tries to reconnect"... SO then... 1st try disconnect...second try(1 disconnection) disconnect...third try(2 disconnection) success on third AKA 3rd try ....only 2 disconnects.
I agree the RULES should be followed, i also agree that READING COMPREHENSION SHOULD BE A PREREQUISITE!! :P :P :twisted: :lol:
Where ever you go, there you are!!
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Michael J Fitch wrote: READING COMPREHENSION SHOULD BE A PREREQUISITE!! :P :P :twisted: :lol:
Surely you've noticed then that I stated more than once that they disconnected only 2 times? Who is missing a prerequisite here, exactly?
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

CRoberson wrote:His statement is that it took him 3 tries to reconnect. That doesn't necessarily mean that incurred 3 disconnects. The admins reviewed the logs and the game was interrupted twice. Yesterday, Suj told me that your logs revealed only 2 disconnects by Rybka. So, I don't see the issue.
For me there is no issue. I want to make it very clear that I would have claimed if there had been 3 disconnects, and that this was not a case where I let this "pass".

There was a fight last CCT about a claim of Komodo vs (IIRC) Junior where Don was accused of unsportsmanlike conduct because he asked that the rules be followed when Junior disconnected. This should make it clear where I stand in those kind of discussions.

If you have a bug and you play a bad move, you lose.
If you have a bug and you crash, that is no different to me.
LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid »

In other words you are not trying to claim the win from Rybka, rather that the statement that you let Rybka have a draw is inaccurate?

Still not exactly sure what is going on.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Your statement about GCP's English comprehension is off a bit. Your interpretation of the statement is just one possibility. What about this one.

They played a while and there was a disconnect. Then a reconnect and more play and another disconnect. Now, two failed reconnects to ICC (which wouldn't be registered by ICC) and finally a connect.

Also, it is a bit difficult to keep count when you are the guy frantically trying to reconnect. I know from experience.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

LucenaTheLucid wrote:In other words you are not trying to claim the win from Rybka, rather that the statement that you let Rybka have a draw is inaccurate?
Correct.
Still not exactly sure what is going on.
Some background:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=50
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Fitch is drinking moonshine again.
I thought you were very clear in your explanation GCP.
Congratulations on holding the Rybka/Fruit clone cluster to a draw.

"I have looked through the Fruit code forwards and backwards and took many many ideas"

sorry Fitch, engwish is not my first language, in Kentucky we say things like fixinto, overyonder, and warsch.

A hillbilly came running into the store and said to his buddy, "Al, somebody just stole your pickup truck." Al said, "Did you see who it was?" The hillbilly replied, "I couldn't tell, but I got the license number!"
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Gian-Carlo,

I am glad you think things as correctly handled.

I am very pleased that Sjeng entered the tournament. Its games were of very high caliber and a joy to watch. A considerable improvement since Maastricht 2002. :)