Question: Rybka Opening Book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Question: Rybka Opening Book

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi,

I notice the Rybka 4 and Rybka 3 opening book are by different authors. Has the author of R4 opening book started from scratch or taken the Rybka 3 opening book and improved it?

Cordially,

Sean
Sean Evans

Re: Question: Rybka Opening Book

Post by Sean Evans »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi,

I notice the Rybka 4 and Rybka 3 opening book are by different authors. Has the author of R4 opening book started from scratch or taken the Rybka 3 opening book and improved it?

Cordially,

Sean
Hello group,

Just an update to my post above, I sent an email to Chessbase and the sold separately R3 and R4 opening books are written by different authors and completely the work of each individual author. The R4 opening book is not just an add-on.

Cordially,

Sean
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Hello group,

Just an update to my post above, I sent an email to Chessbase and the sold separately R3 and R4 opening books are written by different authors and completely the work of each individual author. The R4 opening book is not just an add-on.

Cordially,

Sean
I don't know the exact details, but I read that the new author put in a ton of work, it is completely new, and includes many theoretical novelties as well as revised evaluations. It is worth noting he was on Topalov's team, and while one might argue that Topalov lost the match, it wasn't a result of opening preparation.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Albert Silver wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Hello group,

Cordially,

Sean
I don't know the exact details, but I read that the new author put in a ton of work, it is completely new, and includes many theoretical novelties as well as revised evaluations. It is worth noting he was on Topalov's team, and while one might argue that Topalov lost the match, it wasn't a result of opening preparation.
It would be interesting have Rybka4 play against itself with the old R3 opening book versus the new R4 opening book and see what happens :D

Cordially,

Sean
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

An article went up at the Chessbase site, in which the author of the opening book shares a few of the novelties he found. Note that the Rybka 4 opening book is available by both Chessbase and ChessOk, depending on which version you prefer.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."