The strongest non-bitboard engine on 1 core

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Aaron Becker

The strongest non-bitboard engine on 1 core

Post by Aaron Becker »

I was thinking about board representations earlier today, and found myself wondering how strong the top non-bitboard engine is. I have the impression that most top engines except for Fruit and its derivatives are based on bitboads, but I don't know anything about the internal representation of the top closed-source engines. I'm mostly interested in single-core performance here, because board representation shouldn't really affect scalability.

Looking on CCRL, the strongest Fruit derivative I see on 1 core is Grapefruit at 2967 elo. Is there anything better out there?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: The strongest non-bitboard engine on 1 core

Post by zullil »

Aaron Becker wrote:I was thinking about board representations earlier today, and found myself wondering how strong the top non-bitboard engine is. I have the impression that most top engines except for Fruit and its derivatives are based on bitboads, but I don't know anything about the internal representation of the top closed-source engines. I'm mostly interested in single-core performance here, because board representation shouldn't really affect scalability.

Looking on CCRL, the strongest Fruit derivative I see on 1 core is Grapefruit at 2967 elo. Is there anything better out there?
If I recall correctly, Glaurung (which became Stockfish) did not use bitboards initially, and yet it was still a strong engine. Take a look at the source code for version 1.2.1, which is still available at http://www.glaurungchess.com/ .
IWB

Re: The strongest non-bitboard engine on 1 core

Post by IWB »

Hi,

have a look here:

http://www.inwoba.de

The strongest non bitboard single engine I am 100% sure of is Shredder 12.
(which is btw on Rybka 2.3.2a level which proves that bitboards or not have nothing to do with playing strength!)

Have a nice day
Ingo