Scid 4.2 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pgeorges

Scid 4.2 released

Post by pgeorges »

Scid 4.2 is released at http://scid.sourceforge.net
Its main change is the support of 64 bits file system (as asked some weeks ago) in order to use databases bigger than 2 GB (the limit of 16 M games per database still exists).
The complete changelog is :
- Features :
------------
- Training -> Find best move : make it more user friendly :
* The next moves are automaticaly hidden in PGN window and in game info window
* Added buttons above the board to show solution, go to next / previous exercise
* Leave the training mode by unchecking the menu entry
- updated swedish translation (thanks to Hans Eriksson)
- updated spanish translation (thanks to Pedro Reina)
- Scid Pocket : added Stockfish 1.6.2 ported to ARM (Windows Mobile)
- Fixes :
---------
- Scid has a limit of 16 millions games per base. Before reaching this limit, the size of the game file could exceed 2 GB, which was not possible on 32 bit systems. So now some of Scid's IO handle large files (64 bit I/O system calls even on 32 bit systems) (but the limit for the game file is still 4 GB, given that games offsets are saved as unsigned integers). So now it is possible to have bases that effectively contain up to 16 M games.
- FIDE changed the number of rating list per year. Add code to handle this properly. Maximum year for ratings added by spellchecker is _2010_. (Thanks to Joost 't Hart)
- Searching for !me (own games) was broken
- Xfcc passwords with XML entities were not handled correctly
Pascal Georges
kingliveson

Re: Scid 4.2 released

Post by kingliveson »

pgeorges wrote:Scid 4.2 is released at http://scid.sourceforge.net
Its main change is the support of 64 bits file system (as asked some weeks ago) in order to use databases bigger than 2 GB (the limit of 16 M games per database still exists).
The complete changelog is :
- Features :
------------
- Training -> Find best move : make it more user friendly :
* The next moves are automaticaly hidden in PGN window and in game info window
* Added buttons above the board to show solution, go to next / previous exercise
* Leave the training mode by unchecking the menu entry
- updated swedish translation (thanks to Hans Eriksson)
- updated spanish translation (thanks to Pedro Reina)
- Fixes :
---------
- Scid has a limit of 16 millions games per base. Before reaching this limit, the size of the game file could exceed 2 GB, which was not possible on 32 bit systems. So now some of Scid's IO handle large files (64 bit I/O system calls even on 32 bit systems) (but the limit for the game file is still 4 GB, given that games offsets are saved as unsigned integers). So now it is possible to have bases that effectively contain up to 16 M games.
- FIDE changed the number of rating list per year. Add code to handle this properly. Maximum year for ratings added by spellchecker is _2010_. (Thanks to Joost 't Hart)
- Searching for !me (own games) was broken
- Xfcc passwords with XML entities were not handled correctly
Pascal Georges
Thanks for the release. Should we export a android OS port? I am willing to do the testing.
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Thanks for the release. Should we export a android OS port? I am willing to do the testing.
Not before a long time.

Pascal Georges
MirceaH

Post by MirceaH »

Hi Pascal,

There's something wrong with Scid 4.1 and 4.2. When performing maintainance on my database of over 4 million games after updating with the latest TWIC file (detecting doubles and compacting the game and name files) the database got way thinner (~1.5 million games).

I might be able to recover from another computer, but the whole maintainance procedure seems faulty to me.

Regards,
Mircea
meschle

Post by meschle »

pgeorges wrote:Scid 4.2 is released at http://scid.sourceforge.net

/quote]

Pascal Georges
Hi pascal many thanks for the stockfish compile - but i cant find the 4.2 arm cab - have you updated the 4.0 arm cab or am i missing something.

I will send you a donation as i promised :)
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Hi pascal many thanks for the stockfish compile - but i cant find the 4.2 arm cab - have you updated the 4.0 arm cab or am i missing something.
I still have trouble with Stockfish and UCI protocol handling. For example when running a tournament with other engines, the game stops when it is Stockfish's turn. I also noticed this on rare occasions on PC (when analysing games). So I prefer not to release binaries until it is more stable (source code is ported to ARM so the work is done, now I will wait for new versions of Stockfish to see how things evolve).

Pascal Georges
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

MirceaH wrote:Hi Pascal,

There's something wrong with Scid 4.1 and 4.2. When performing maintainance on my database of over 4 million games after updating with the latest TWIC file (detecting doubles and compacting the game and name files) the database got way thinner (~1.5 million games).

I might be able to recover from another computer, but the whole maintainance procedure seems faulty to me.

Regards,
Mircea
If a base contains 4 M games and 2.5 M are marked as "deleted" (for example after doubles detection), compacting the game file will reduce the size of the base to 1.5 M games.

Pascal Georges
MirceaH

Post by MirceaH »

After detecting doubles, around 5000 games were found as doubles. In the Compact database window the dimensions of files and number of games are incorrectly shown (and more, deleted).
meschle

Post by meschle »

pgeorges wrote:
I still have trouble with Stockfish and UCI protocol handling. For example when running a tournament with other engines, the game stops when it is Stockfish's turn. I also noticed this on rare occasions on PC (when analysing games). So I prefer not to release binaries until it is more stable (source code is ported to ARM so the work is done, now I will wait for new versions of Stockfish to see how things evolve).

Pascal Georges
I will use for analysis mainly so i don't mind if it occasionally crashes.

Anyhow i sent you a donation as thanks for all your good work on scid and scid pocket :D
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Beware Scid 4.2 is broken on some OS. So I reverted back to a safer mode for I/O and made a maintenance release (Scid 4.2.2) : large files (over 2 GB) are not supported in this version.

Pascal Georges