Chessmaster 4, 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 under Windows XP

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spacious_Mind

Chessmaster 4, 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 under Windows XP

Post by Spacious_Mind »

Has anyone ever managed to get the old Chessmasters 4, 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 to work under Windows XP?

I have tried but have had no luck so far.

regards
Nick
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Re: Chessmaster 4, 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 under Windows XP

Post by tmokonen »

I was reading the Ubisoft forums, and one user stated he had success running CM4000 under XP using Microsoft Virtual PC 2004:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... bcb7f01cd1

However, you will also have to have a valid copy of Windows 95 or 98 (not sure if it would work with Windows ME) to run under Virtual PC, so that you can run Chessmaster in a Windows 9x environment that runs within XP.
rlsuth

Re: Chessmaster 4, 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 under Windows XP

Post by rlsuth »

I found this on another website for CM4000. Try it and see if it works:

"I've finally got chessmaster 4000 working under windows xp!. Here's what you have to do: Download the latest version to upgrade it to vers 1.04, follow simple instructions, uncheck "lock taskbar" and "taskbar always on top" check "autohide" taskbar and then approach the icon for chessmaster 4000, right click, then left click "run as" and a popup will appear, check current user, it probably is already checked and also check "protect my computer data from unauthorized program activity" then click okay. Now the game should load without a fault, however before the game loads move the mouse away as the game will crash if the mouse comes in contact with the chessmaster window. you can move the the chessmaster window around only by left clicking the top bar. The game if loaded like this doesn't really have any faults and is windows xp compatible. The only real problem left to correct is the mouse, which is only minor and remember as long as you load the game by the "run as" way and dont move the mouse inside the window it should work fine"