quick move after pondering

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

quick move after pondering

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I noticed that many engines make a quick move after pondering in
the on going cct event. Is this the standard practice ? At one time Arasan was 7 minutes behind in time to scorpio and after making some fast moves it is +6 minutes up. There was not such a noticeable fail low on scorpio's side. Arasan just made kind of safe moves to get back on level terms regarding the time control. I never experimented with it but it looks like something worthwhile to do. What are your views?

Daniel
Zach Wegner

Re: quick move after pondering

Post by Zach Wegner »

My time usage allocates just the amount per move. It starts its clock when it starts pondering, and if the ponder move is wrong, it simply resets it. If the ponder move is right, then the opponents move time is subtracted from the thinking time. So if the opponent takes a while, you're over the limit, and you can move immediately. I think this is how most people do it, but I can't recall ever looking at other's time management or pondering code in much depth.
jwes

Post by jwes »

Daniel Shawul wrote:I noticed that many engines make a quick move after pondering in
the on going cct event. Is this the standard practice ? At one time Arasan was 7 minutes behind in time to scorpio and after making some fast moves it is +6 minutes up. There was not such a noticeable fail low on scorpio's side. Arasan just made kind of safe moves to get back on level terms regarding the time control. I never experimented with it but it looks like something worthwhile to do. What are your views?

Daniel
If you search this forum for ponder or pondering, you will find out more than you want to know about ponder strategies.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Hi,

I tried this in the CPT2009, using the rule as follows...

1. When entering ponder, make expected reply from opponent
2. allocate time "I would use for the move if I were moving".
2. Add 25%
3. If opppenent makes expected move (ponderhit), and has exceeded the time from 1. and 2., make move instantly, otherwise think for the remaining time allocated in 1. and 2.

So, "instant moves" occurr only for ponderhits.

I only had this working in UCI mode, it's a bit tricky in Xboard mode, so it wasn't used in CCT11 this weekend.

It can give the effect in the games (especially in forced lines) of one computer thinking a lot, the other not at all for 5-10 moves.

Richard