Cyclone 1.0 beta

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Cyclone 1.0 beta

Post by kranium »

Hi all-

i have been working non-stop on Cyclone 1.0 beta, and it is now ready to be released. i've was in contact yesterday with Werner Schule from CEGT about the release, and have asked Jim Ablett to produce optimized compiles for distribution. i'm now waiting for an answer from Jim. If there is anyone else that has the time, and is willing to do this, please contact me asap.

i would do it myself, but my compiler skills and resources are limited. As soon as I have these optimized executables, I will release a package as open-source on the www.xyclOps.com website, or perhaps ridderkerk.

as a courtesy, i'm attaching the readme.txt here in an effort to provide some information. Cyclone is based on Fruit/Toga, but uses many ideas, features, and improvements from xyclOps. my initial testing is quite positive and encouraging, but i won't cite any ELO numbers here, i prefer to leave that to you all, and the experts at CEGT, CCRL, etc.

Best Regards-
Norm Schmidt
kranium

Re: Cyclone 1.0 beta

Post by kranium »

i haven't been able to attach the file...does anyone know how to do this?
in the meantime, i'll make it available for download at my website.
swami

Post by swami »

kranium wrote:i haven't been able to attach the file...does anyone know how to do this?
in the meantime, i'll make it available for download at my website.
Not sure what you mean but this forum doesn't allow anyone to attach files.
kranium

Post by kranium »

i see ... thanks Swami.
i've made it available from the www.xyclOps.com web site
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

kranium wrote:Hi all-

i have been working non-stop on Cyclone 1.0 beta, and it is now ready to be released. i've was in contact yesterday with Werner Schule from CEGT about the release, and have asked Jim Ablett to produce optimized compiles for distribution. i'm now waiting for an answer from Jim. If there is anyone else that has the time, and is willing to do this, please contact me asap.

i would do it myself, but my compiler skills and resources are limited. As soon as I have these optimized executables, I will release a package as open-source on the www.xyclOps.com website, or perhaps ridderkerk.

as a courtesy, i'm attaching the readme.txt here in an effort to provide some information. Cyclone is based on Fruit/Toga, but uses many ideas, features, and improvements from xyclOps. my initial testing is quite positive and encouraging, but i won't cite any ELO numbers here, i prefer to leave that to you all, and the experts at CEGT, CCRL, etc.

Best Regards-
Norm Schmidt
I do like the name you gave it
cyCLONE

good choice

I hope this "yet another toga thingy" will be less of the same ,although i doubt it very much
best
Fonzy
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

F. Bluemers wrote: I hope this "yet another toga thingy" will be less of the same ,although i doubt it very much
??
kranium

Post by kranium »

Hi Fonzy-
yes i think the name fits (i put some thought into it).

Andre van Ark suggested xyclone! <:

here are most recent (Arena) blitz results:
------------------------------------------------
*cyclone vs toga14beta5c noponder/nobook 13/20 2/1 62.50% +92 ELO
*cyclone vs toga14beta5c noponder/nobook 66/120 1/1 55.00% +35 ELO
*cyclone vs toga14beta5c noponder/nobook 86/183 1/1 56.28% +44 ELO
*cyclone vs toga141se noponder/nobook 53.5/100 1/1 56.28% +24 ELO
*cyclone vs toga141se noponder/nobook 55.5/100 1/1 55.50% +38 ELO

in all tests, both engines played with the exact same configuration, and were compiled with the same options.

obviously, i am greatly encouraged and motivated by these results, but it remains to be seen if they hold up after 1000s of games and longer time controls.
i certainly hope so...mainly because nothing would please me more than to see any engine become more competitive with Rybka. clearly, Toga is a great great engine and has excellent potential in this regard, and best of all for the chess engine community, it's open-source and free!

Dennis Mendoza has agreed to help with the executables, so i expect it can be released very soon.

best regards,
Norm
gerold

Post by gerold »

Good luck Norm on your new program.

Gerold.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Are you still not interested in complying with the GPL by releasing xyclOps??
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Zach Wegner wrote:Are you still not interested in complying with the GPL by releasing xyclOps??
I thought Cyclone was indeed Xyclops with adjustments...He is going to release the source.