Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pgeorges

Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Post by pgeorges »

Hi,

Here is an interesting link with rating of various engines on Pocket PC (and Palm) PDA :
http://raitpref.hotbox.ru/ct003-1.htm

Pascal
swami

Re: Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Post by swami »

Thanks for posting the rating list :)

I presume you don't own palm Hiarcs, I'd be interested in knowing how Thinker pocket PC fares against Palm Hiarcs...

Also does Thinker's 2600 is comparable and relative to that of ordinary pc chess engines rating list, or is it even lower?
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

swami wrote:Thanks for posting the rating list :)

I presume you don't own palm Hiarcs, I'd be interested in knowing how Thinker pocket PC fares against Palm Hiarcs...

Also does Thinker's 2600 is comparable and relative to that of ordinary pc chess engines rating list, or is it even lower?
I do own Palm Hiarcs on a Palm Tungsten E (144 MHz CPU). I personaly only use Scid on Pocket PC, so I can't compare with Thinkerboard.
But I ran some tests between Scid on a Dell Axim x51v (624 MHz) and Hiarcs on TE : this confirmed to me that if Hiarcs is at around 2400 ELO on a TE (see Palm Hiarcs site), Scid's best engines are indeed around 2600 ELO.

Pascal
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Treo 750v (Samsung 300MHz), CEBoard, Fruit 2.3.1 - cca 2400 my guess. But resolution only 240x240, invisible evalution CEBoard ....
Probe 10min/game
Romichess NG5 (Sempron 3000+) - Fruit 2.3.1 (Treo) so far 1:1.
Fruit (Treo) in black wins from Fritz 5.32 and Smarthink 1.00 (old P1/166MHz).
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Does have a Palm 2600 elo ?

Post by Father »

....Is it possible than a chess machine search a 2600 elo rating in nowdays playing into a plam ? What kind of palm and engine? :shock:
Thanks in advance ....
..Pablo
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I can't seem to look at the website.Anyway I have played many games of Hiarcs on a Tungsten T3 against PocketGrandmaster with the new Togall 3.1.2se engine on a iPaq hx2750 and find that Hiarcs gets it's but kicked roughly 4/5 games.The depths of hiarcs in a 30 min/30 min game gets to about 8 maybe 9 in a middlegame position where as Togall 3.1.3se gets to 12 maybe 13.I have even overclocked the Palm to make up for it's slowness but still it is not much competition,even with the Huge opening book the Pocket GM can be out of book about 5 moves before Hiarcs and even plays some dubious opening moves according to the Hiarcs book but in the end it gets outsearched.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

How old is the rating list?Because Hiarcs for Palm is about 3 to 4 years old now and Mark Uniake has done some simulation testing on the latest Palm Hiarcs which is said to be based on Hiarcs 12 and he reckons that it would be significantly stronger.Can only wait till it is released.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Rubinus wrote:Treo 750v (Samsung 300MHz), CEBoard, Fruit 2.3.1 - cca 2400 my guess. But resolution only 240x240, invisible evalution CEBoard ....
Probe 10min/game
Romichess NG5 (Sempron 3000+) - Fruit 2.3.1 (Treo) so far 1:1.
Fruit (Treo) in black wins from Fritz 5.32 and Smarthink 1.00 (old P1/166MHz).
Hi Pavel,

RomiChess NG5 is the only Romi beta that can beat Fruit (most recent versions) regularly! And I have no clue why. Eventhough NG5 is weaker than NG4, NG4 hardly ever beats Fruit, any Fruit version. This first showed up in Thorstens tournaments.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Hi Michael
But Romi use laptop CPU Sempron 3000+ (1800MHz, eqv. 3GHz Intel) + Perfect13.ctg by Sedat, Fruit mobil Treo 300MHz, cca 10x slowly + my ph-glaurung-book-beta8.bin -> hereat Romichess opponent, amateur engine + 10x speedly hw versus very strong program.
10x speedly hw = cca + 300 ELO
Best wishes P.H.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I have Pocket Grandmaster that I downloaded some time back ... has it been upgraded in the last year or two? Is it a free upgrade? Also is Thinker an engine that can be run on PGM? I remember some time back there was also a Toga that would run on PGM and I think you could install books. I just might dust off my 200 Mhz old IPAQ. Rybka might come out on PPC platform soon and it should be interesting to see how it plays on such small hardware. I have a feeling Rybka would be very strong.