ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Re: ShashChess

Post by Viz »

amchess wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 am https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches
You can see why you get banned from the Stockfish discord channel...
Because of insults and racist slurs?
amchess

Post by amchess »

fishpov wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 am Hi amchess

Thanks for your reply but I don't see these options in Fritz gui.
I have MCTS not cheked by default with
MCTSThreads 1
MCTS Multi Strategy 20
MCTS Multi MinVisits 5
I don't understand: those options are in ShashChess and you can see them under Fritz.
amchess

Post by amchess »

Viz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 am
amchess wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 am https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches
You can see why you get banned from the Stockfish discord channel...
Because of insults and racist slurs?
Exactly.
I posted such results, was intimated not to publish them again or even to report the release of new versions.
This even though there is an appropriate section in the Stockfish channel.
Even, one "intimated" the CCRL manager not to test ShashChess.
If these are not attitudes of a certain style....
This is not victimhood: several other people have unfortunately been treated like this.
I have also tried to contribute both Shashin theory and R-learning and have always thanked the community effort, also because, thank God, not everyone is a squadronist.
So much for the spirit of open source.
In any case, I can only thank you for the free publicity and will not retort to any more insults.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

My 200 games test. HERT book 6 cores 1m+1s:

Code: Select all

1   Stockfish 16.1    +3/=196/-1 50.50%  101.0/200
2   ShashChess 35.1   +1/=196/-3 49.50%   99.0/200

Jouni
amchess

Post by amchess »

Two observations: the openings are balanced (not unbalanced) which means a guarantee of a truckload of draws. The thinking time is 1 minute plus 1 second. Considering the balance of the two engines, their strength, and the randomness we found, this test proves absolutely nothing.
amchess

Post by amchess »

Even Pohl understood that tests of engines because of their strength are not probative from balanced positions
DrEinstein
Full name: Albert Einstein

Post by DrEinstein »

Third observation: No error margin / error bars / LOS
OK, I could calculate it by myself, but why I should do that with such a SSS.
Edit: 3+/-7 ELO so 95% error margin is 14 wide and the ELO difference is 3 ELO, more than 4 times smaller. Imagine police measures the speed of your car when you drive with exactly 30 km/h, the max.speed allowed. And they measure something between 0 and 140 km/h... High chance that this was your final drive 😂
DrEinstein

Post by DrEinstein »

Maybe LOS (likelihood of superiority) is more descriptive than the above example:
LOS = 57% i.e. 43% likelihood that Shashchess is stronger. Rolling the dice is faster and cheaper with the same accuracy.
Why I post this: Because tons of such statistically useless tests are published and too many chess engine fans don't have the mathematical background to understand this.
Pali
Full name: Doruk Sekercioglu

Post by Pali »

amchess wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm Two observations: the openings are balanced (not unbalanced) which means a guarantee of a truckload of draws. The thinking time is 1 minute plus 1 second. Considering the balance of the two engines, their strength, and the randomness we found, this test proves absolutely nothing.
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches

It is the exact same amount of matches you played on your own tests - it's just as valid.
DrEinstein

Post by DrEinstein »

Pali wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm
amchess wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm Two observations: the openings are balanced (not unbalanced) which means a guarantee of a truckload of draws. The thinking time is 1 minute plus 1 second. Considering the balance of the two engines, their strength, and the randomness we found, this test proves absolutely nothing.
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches

It is the exact same amount of matches you played on your own tests - it's just as valid.
Yes in both matches 200 games, but please read more carefully the user names. I have absolutely nothing to do with amchess or ShashChess, I only thought it would help some guys to understand what such kind of results mean: Nothing, amchess' comment is absolutely correct... more or less for both matches. However, amchess has used UHO openings which decrease the number of games necessary for a certain error margin or decreases the margin if the number of games is kept constant. Note that increasing the TC doesn't change anything in the statistics!