Operating system for engine development?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which OS do you prefer for development of your engine?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:03 am

Windows
42%
macOS
4%
Linux/Unix
54%

Total votes: 48

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Operating system for engine development?

Post by smatovic »

syzygy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:24 pm But he does.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08 ... ux-kernel/
(Yes, it runs Linux, but a macbook is a macbook.)

I can imagine that he did not pay for it ;)
’Oh, and part of it is that I got the machine for free,’ said Torvalds, ‘I’m really a technology whore.'

"Linux creator Linus Torvalds switches to Apple Power Mac"
https://macdailynews.com/2005/03/09/lin ... er_mac_g5/

---
Srdja
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

https://www.xda-developers.com/reasons-i-hate-macos/
5 reasons why I hate macOS so much that I avoid using my M1 Mac Mini
wickedpotus
Full name: Aron Rodgriges

Post by wickedpotus »

Linus Thorvalds own words on his Macbook usage -

"Not that I've used it for any real work, I literally have only been doing test builds and boots and now the actual release tagging. But I'm trying to make sure that the next time I travel, I can travel with this as a laptop and finally dogfooding the arm64 side too."

Although we do not usually imitate the great gurus, it is always good and fun to know the habits, equipment, etc ... that gurus use, gurus like Richard Stallman, Mark Shuttleworth or Linux Torvalds, among others. Recently Torvalds has indicated which laptop he uses for his travels and moments of mobile programming.

This laptop model is quite curious because has Ubuntu as an operating system (not Asahi) and ... no, it does not have Unity or Gnome or KDE but it does got cinnamon, a desktop that was created for Linux Mint, a distribution that is based on Ubuntu.

First of all, Linus Torvalds emphasizes that he uses his desktop computer daily to run and work on the kernel, but when he lectures or goes on a trip, he uses his laptop, a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop which is optimized to use Ubuntu. This equipment has a high price but it also has some interesting features that makes it so good or better than the Macbook Air itself.

Dell XPS 13 Developer Laptop ...

On this computer, Linus does not use the default desktop He does not even use Gnome since the latest version does not quite adapt well From the old desk to the reduced screens (we must not forget that the laptop has a 13-inch screen), in this case Linus Torvalds uses Cinnamon as desktop.
Peperoni
Full name: Richard Porti

Post by Peperoni »

Lots of Linux answers :)
I am curious, which IDE do you guys use on LINUX (if any)?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Peperoni wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:23 pm Lots of Linux answers :)
vim, bash, gcc, make, gdb
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Peperoni wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:23 pmLots of Linux answers :)
I even use Linux for gaming. :)
None. Just a text editor with syntax highlighting, such as Xed or Notepadqq. In very rare cases, I may resort to command line gdb for debugging.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

wickedpotus wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 pm
Linus Thorvalds own words on his Macbook usage -

"Not that I've used it for any real work, I literally have only been doing test builds and boots and now the actual release tagging. But I'm trying to make sure that the next time I travel, I can travel with this as a laptop and finally dogfooding the arm64 side too."

Although we do not usually imitate the great gurus, it is always good and fun to know the habits, equipment, etc ... that gurus use, gurus like Richard Stallman, Mark Shuttleworth or Linux Torvalds, among others. Recently Torvalds has indicated which laptop he uses for his travels and moments of mobile programming.

This laptop model is quite curious because has Ubuntu as an operating system (not Asahi) and ... no, it does not have Unity or Gnome or KDE but it does got cinnamon, a desktop that was created for Linux Mint, a distribution that is based on Ubuntu.

First of all, Linus Torvalds emphasizes that he uses his desktop computer daily to run and work on the kernel, but when he lectures or goes on a trip, he uses his laptop, a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition laptop which is optimized to use Ubuntu. This equipment has a high price but it also has some interesting features that makes it so good or better than the Macbook Air itself.

Dell XPS 13 Developer Laptop ...

On this computer, Linus does not use the default desktop He does not even use Gnome since the latest version does not quite adapt well From the old desk to the reduced screens (we must not forget that the laptop has a 13-inch screen), in this case Linus Torvalds uses Cinnamon as desktop.
This is copied (without attribution) from a 7-year old article.

Linus switched back to Gnome years ago, and Gnome works fine on the XPS 13. Nowadays he really does use a Macbook (with Gnome) as his laptop:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-tor ... cbook-air/
These days, when he's on the road, Torvalds is using an Apple MacBook Air with an M2 processor. On this hot new machine, he runs Fedora Workstation 36. (...)

Of course, it's not perfect yet. For example, the code doesn't support the M2 FPU, so Torvalds can't do 3D graphics, but "I don't need games." Ironically, that also means some GNOME 40 graphical effects, such as the screen dimming, don't work, but "I like it that way, it makes the display more snappy. I may turn those off on my other machines as well."
Obviously FPU should read GPU here.
Carbec
Full name: Philippe Chevalier

Post by Carbec »

Hello,

I use Windows 10, and linux Mint too. I prefer Linux, system is faster, and even my engine performs better.
I used in the past smartgit for the versionning; but its now paying. What do you recommend as replacement ?
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Carbec wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:14 pm Hello,

I use Windows 10, and linux Mint too. I prefer Linux, system is faster, and even my engine performs better.
I used in the past smartgit for the versionning; but its now paying. What do you recommend as replacement ?
I guess the minimalists in here really work only with terminal/shell/console/CLI - git from the command line works fine for me.

--
Srdja
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Peperoni wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:23 pm Lots of Linux answers :)
Vim is in my fingers. I write all my programs/documents/texts in Vim.