Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CThinker

Re: Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Post by CThinker »

Cubeman wrote:How old is the rating list?Because Hiarcs for Palm is about 3 to 4 years old now and Mark Uniake has done some simulation testing on the latest Palm Hiarcs which is said to be based on Hiarcs 12 and he reckons that it would be significantly stronger.Can only wait till it is released.
That tournament finished just a few days ago.

Aleksandr emailed me last March regarding the start of his tournament. And so, I had to rush the release of Mobile Thinker to make it to the tournament, even though the UI does not yet have all the changes that I want.
CThinker

Re: Elo rating of chess engines on Pocket PC

Post by CThinker »

pgeorges wrote:Hi,

Here is an interesting link with rating of various engines on Pocket PC (and Palm) PDA :
http://raitpref.hotbox.ru/ct003-1.htm

Pascal
My estimate is that, today's best engines on the fastest Pocket PCs should be about as good as Rebel on the 450Mhz PC that played against Anand in 1998.

The fastest Pocket PCs today are still less than half the raw processing speed of that 450Mhz PC, but todays best engines are a lot better than the 1998 Rebel.

If my comparison is correct, then today's fastest Pocket PCs, running the best engines, should be good enough, even against GMs. I have not tested this myself, because Mobile Thinker only plays at FICS, where there are no GMs. And, I only put it out on FICS when I need to do some stress testing.
Dann Corbit

Re: Does have a Palm 2600 elo ?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Father wrote:....Is it possible than a chess machine search a 2600 elo rating in nowdays playing into a plam ? What kind of palm and engine? :shock:
Thanks in advance ....
..Pablo
I guess that at a time control of game in one second, a palm will have at least that good of a rating against any human opponent.

At correspondence chess (one move per day or slower), I guess that no program can give 2600 on a palm against the best human players (who may or may not use super-powerful computers to verify their ideas).

But maybe you are really asking something else, so I say 'Maybe'.

So the answer to your question is:
Yes, no, maybe.