A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CRoberson

Re: A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Post by CRoberson »

I think he is cheating. I believe the assistant could be at least partially in his shoes. It will be nice to see the capture.

OTOH, he gives us data that can be used to correlate computer ratings to human ratings.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Take him out back and find out what he is doing. Just do it, risk charges.

When I played in the eighties he would have had his rights violated, by me!
There is no question he's cheating. It's the method that is in question and he will never let you search him unless it is done by force!
Terry McCracken
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

The shoe story is completely ridiculous. The photo of the shoe with the smartphone inside got me rolling on the floor laughing:
* how come metal detectors have not detected it ?
* how would he type with his toed on the LED screen the moves, and receive them ? Anyone try to type moves on the screen of their phone with their toes, even when looking at it it's next to impossible, so if your foot is squashed against the phone and you can't see it... utter nonsense.

But don't get me wrong, I am convinced he is a cheater. We don't know how he does it, and thanks to the shoe episode he has got everyone to believe it's in the shoe. Next time he will accept to remove his shoes and destroy some GMs, and people will go "woaw... he is a true genious...".

The shoe is a red herring!
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

lucasart wrote:The shoe story is completely ridiculous. The photo of the shoe with the smartphone inside got me rolling on the floor laughing:
* how would he type with his toed on the LED screen the moves, and receive them ? Anyone try to type moves on the screen of their phone with their toes, even when looking at it it's next to impossible, so if your foot is squashed against the phone and you can't see it... utter nonsense.

But don't get me wrong, I am convinced he is a cheater. We don't know how he does it, and thanks to the shoe episode he has got everyone to believe it's in the shoe. Next time he will accept to remove his shoes and destroy some GMs, and people will go "woaw... he is a true genious...".

I guess this is our modern day "Turk"! :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Uri Blass »

reflectionofpower wrote:
I think the guy is cheating too but they still haven't proven how he does it. This is stated near the end, "We have done a little research and found that, unfortunately, there is a very low-tech way to cheat in chess: a modern Android or Apple smartphone easily fits into a shoe, and you can use your toes to send signals to the motion detector in the phone. Little wiggles will do it. Or the toe could be used to tap on the LED screen. The response of the phone would be short bursts of vibration. An app could handle the interface to a chess engine running on the device. So it is not really necessary to work out very complicated communication system to explain how a player may be using computer assistance during a chess tournament." I think that's kind of stretching it. That explanation is very broad and not getting into specifics. Interesting story though.
I think that knowing how he cheat may encourage other people to cheat in a similiar way so it may not be a good idea to tell the world how he does it.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Uri Blass wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:
I think the guy is cheating too but they still haven't proven how he does it. That explanation is very broad and not getting into specifics. Interesting story though.
I think that knowing how he cheat may encourage other people to cheat in a similiar way so it may not be a good idea to tell the world how he does it.
If I know how he is cheating, I will be able to prevent others from cheating.
Maybe if there is surgery involved, or a vital organ, it could be challenging to detect.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

kgburcham wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:
I think the guy is cheating too but they still haven't proven how he does it. That explanation is very broad and not getting into specifics. Interesting story though.
Maybe if there is surgery involved, or a vital organ, it could be challenging to detect.
+1 :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Take him out back and find out what he is doing. Just do it, risk charges.

When I played in the eighties he would have had his rights violated, by me!
There is no question he's cheating. It's the method that is in question and he will never let you search him unless it is done by force!
Although that I cansider you a close friend Terry and I myself can be described as aggressively oriented when it comes to justice in all aspects of life,I don't think that this is the optimal approach.......

The least he can do is to wave the flag of abuse in your face and can even go further to launch a court trial after that....

Still,I don't think that what he's using is something from outer space....
There must be a way to figure things out regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

kgburcham wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:
Fully agreed here.....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

lucasart wrote:The shoe story is completely ridiculous. The photo of the shoe with the smartphone inside got me rolling on the floor laughing:

Did anyone even considered the simple fact that the weight of his body will squash the poor smartphone :!: :?:

:shock:

Utter nonsense indeed....
Dr.D