Moderator Elections

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
hgm
Posts: 26576
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Moderator Elections

Post by hgm » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm

It is already more than 6 months ago that the current moderator team was elected, which means that the term for which the current team was elected has expired. There are also some indications that one member of the current team has left TalkChess permanently. So extending the mandate of the current team by default, as was often done in the past for lack of alternative candidates, is not an option.

So we must conduct new moderator elections for a new moderator term. To my surprise the term of 6 months, or the fact that moderators are periodically elected, doesn't seem to be anchored in the charter, but the proposal is to adhere to the tradition of electing 3 new moderators for a new term of 6 months.

To this end we will follow the usual method of members proposing candidates (through postings in this discussion thread), the propsed members announcing whether they decline or accept the nomination, and in the latter case post a 'policy statement' on how they envision to fulfil the task (also in this thread).

If there are sufficiently many candidates to warrant an actual election, the details on how to organize this can be discussed further.

Please limit postings in this discussion to nomination of candidates, or accpetance / rejection of nominations. For other comments I made a separate discussion in this forum section.

Nominated:
Chris Whittington (accepted)
Graham Banks (accepted)
Ed Schroder (accepted)
H.G. Muller (accepted)
Harvey Williamson (accepted)
Rasmus Althoff (accepted)
Dietrich Kappe (accepted)
Andrew Grant (accepted)

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 6378
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Rebel » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am

I nominate Chris Whittington and Graham Banks.

My hope is to run with them as a team / trio.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

karger
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am
Full name: John Karger

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by karger » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 pm

I nominate Ed Schroder.

chrisw
Posts: 4016
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by chrisw » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:36 pm

Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am
I nominate Chris Whittington and Graham Banks.

My hope is to run with them as a team / trio.
I’m good with team/trio concept with Ed Schroeder and Graham Banks

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35888
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:20 pm

chrisw wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:36 pm
Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am
I nominate Chris Whittington and Graham Banks.

My hope is to run with them as a team / trio.
I’m good with team/trio concept with Ed Schroeder and Graham Banks
I'm happy to work with Ed and Chris.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

dannyb
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by dannyb » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 pm

The current mod team was excellent thus I nominate H.G. Muller, Harvey Williamson and Dann Corbit (I know Dann Corbit resigned)

I suggest we have the mod election once a year and not every 6 months.

willmorton
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:19 pm
Full name: William Morton

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by willmorton » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:30 am

when is the deadline?

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 26576
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by hgm » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 am

I had not set a deadline yet; first I wanted to see how eager people were to propose candidates. We want to have both a reasonable number of (accepting) candidates, and a reasonable amount of time for everyone to react. So I wanted to wait until we have 8-10 candidates, and then announce, say one more week for anyone else to come forward.

User avatar
reflectionofpower
Posts: 1484
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: USA

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by reflectionofpower » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 am

Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am
I nominate Chris Whittington and Graham Banks.

My hope is to run with them as a team / trio.
I second that
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie

Damir
Posts: 2597
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Denmark
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Damir » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Ed/Graham and Chris are my nominees. :)

Post Reply