Tactical search

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Tactical search

Post by Cardoso »

Hi,
I'm thinking adding one or more threads dedicated to a tactical search.
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?

thanks,
Alvaro
Dann Corbit

Re: Tactical search

Post by Dann Corbit »

Cardoso wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:45 pm Hi,
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?
Houdini did something very much like your idea.
I suggest you might want to look at the repository found listed in the fishcooking forum.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

thanks,
Alvaro
Out of pure curisoity I once at the end of eval replaced the score with the incremental PST value (thus counting wood mainly) and noticed the search came 1.5 - 2 ply deeper. Doing that at the beginning increased the NPS.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Rebel wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:31 pm

thanks,
Alvaro
Out of pure curisoity I once at the end of eval replaced the score with the incremental PST value (thus counting wood mainly) and noticed the search came 1.5 - 2 ply deeper. Doing that at the beginning increased the NPS.
Aside the NPS increase, probably is a similar effect to the code below from Stockfish evaluation function that forces evaluation values being multiples of 16 (grain size).

Code: Select all

// Evaluation grain
    v = (v / 16) * 16;