7-men Syzygy attempt

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

koedem

Re: 7-men Syzygy attempt

Post by koedem »

syzygy wrote:To prevent your programs from being swapped out, disable the page file. Windows will then release RAM caching TB data when it needs more memory.
Thanks, as obvious as it is for some reason that didn't occur to me. Tried it (I set max pagefile size to something small like 256 MB) and indeed the problem seems to be gone. Thank you. :)
koedem

Post by koedem »

syzygy wrote:To prevent your programs from being swapped out, disable the page file. Windows will then release RAM caching TB data when it needs more memory.
Seems like Windows doesn't quite work well in that regard. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehunw6r9nf8t5 ... m.png?dl=0
However it seems (?) one can just ignore that and it will go on just fine...

On a seperate note, any progress being made on the Syzygy 7 men? The mate in 500 or what it was did seem like it can work. :)
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

koedem wrote: On a seperate note, any progress being made on the Syzygy 7 men? The mate in 500 or what it was did seem like it can work. :)
My building process is ongoing, soon I will prepare another machine to build different sets in parallel.

Ronald is already working on a file format to store large DTZ values, the generator is fine, it would just require a bit more memory to build, and such cases are not very common among 7 pieces.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Is there any hint implying more cursed wins for 7-man bases than 6-man?
ˆ
Passive alternative for 7-man bases is to purchase 20 TB HDD with the idea to use them only with cutechess adjudication. Probing 6-men + 7-man adjudication.

As of now i probe 5-men during search + immediate 6-man adjudication. Work without performance penalty because the HDD is awaken from hibernation once number of pieces present on the board is near 6-pieces.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

For example WD 20TB My Book Duo Desktop for 800 dollar.

https://www.amazon.com/20TB-Desktop-Ext ... B074R34DD3
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Nordlandia wrote:Is there any hint implying more cursed wins for 7-man bases than 6-man?
ˆ
Passive alternative for 7-man bases is to purchase 20 TB HDD with the idea to use them only with cutechess adjudication. Probing 6-men + 7-man adjudication.

As of now i probe 5-men during search + immediate 6-man adjudication. Work without performance penalty because the HDD is awaken from hibernation once number of pieces present on the board is near 6-pieces.
Do we need that much HDD space for 7-pieces?
Does cutechess adjudicate 7-men already?
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Please, can somebody gives a rough estimation of 7-men Syzygy sizes.

1) Number of files ?
1) Number of pawnless files ?
2) Size of DTZ for all files ?
2) Size of WDL for all files ?
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

7-man adj can be requested for cutechess.

20 TB is Ronald's estimation back in 2017. This value can change however.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

My estimation was 10 TB for WDL and 10 TB for DTZ. For adjudication you would only need WDL.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Nordlandia wrote:20 TB is Ronald's estimation back in 2017. This value can change however.
Let's hope so, HDD prices are basically the same as 6-7 years ago (at least in Spain).