*NEW VERSION* of The Baron

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve Maughan

*NEW VERSION* of The Baron

Post by Steve Maughan »

Richard Pijl has released a new version of The Baron. You can find out more here:

http://www.chessprogramming.net/new-engine-the-baron/

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Graham Banks

Re: *NEW VERSION* of The Baron

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks to Richard (and you too Steve). Been looking forward to this for an awfully long time. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Günther Höhne

Post by Günther Höhne »

Thanks Richard Pijl. :)
Max

Post by Max »

Great!

The newest files in the archive are from early 2012!? Did this version play WSCC/WCCC 2015?

-Max
Hope we're not just the biological boot loader for digital super intelligence. Unfortunately, that is increasingly probable - Elon Musk
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Where is the "eyeball in the hand" logo?
We can't have a new Baron release without it.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Richard,

I like TheBaron a lot. In the past I had fun in looking the games of your engine and in my Arena develops times I used TheBaron a lot. One of the main engines in animation other programmers and testers / myself.

THANKS for given to us / me your latest version!!

Best
Frank
Max

Post by Max »

SzG wrote:I assume it does not come with sources, does it?
Yes, without source code and only Windows binaries.

-Max
Hope we're not just the biological boot loader for digital super intelligence. Unfortunately, that is increasingly probable - Elon Musk
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Steve Maughan wrote:Richard Pijl has released a new version of The Baron. You can find out more here:
http://www.chessprogramming.net/new-engine-the-baron/
Steve
Thanks Richard,
I hope we can test the version which played on WCCC 2015 soon too :D
Werner
pijl

Post by pijl »

Thanks for hosting it Steve!
As to why it is not on my own site: I have some trouble updating it as I lost my Netobjects installation. Steve already offered to host it when we met in Leiden last week, so that seemed to be the easy solution. I do not rule out that I revive my own site, but it just has no priority at the moment.

As to this version: As has been spotted by some, this is a three year old version of the Baron that I made available for fans of engines with their own character. It is closely related to a version playing at the WCCC 2011 in Tilburg (it is a bit newer than that one, but not much).

The Baron 3.x series is not related in any way to the Baron 2.x. In fact, it started as 'Crashtest Dummy'. When I finally retired the Baron 2.x I renamed crashtest dummy to become the next generation of the Baron. This is a fresh new engine, sharing almost none of the code with the previous generation.

About a general release of the current version (3.39): That will not happen in the near future, but maybe in a couple of years or so. So for now the only way to enjoy that one is to watch the tournaments that I play in, and perhaps a few selected 'basement' tournaments.
supersharp77

Re: The Baron 3.29 NEW!

Post by supersharp77 »

Thanks Richard! Its been a long time coming! Looking forward to see how it stacks up to the prior editions! Thx AR :) :wink: