Distinguish rook and bishop move efficiently

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

R. Tomasi
Full name: Roland Tomasi

Re: Distinguish rook and bishop move efficiently

Post by R. Tomasi »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am I'm not sure if compilers are smart enough to apply de Morgan's law though.
GCC does use de Morgan's law to optimize boolean expressions:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/I ... tions.html
I'm not sure if it does in the way one would expect in the particular case at hands. I remember reading a comparision between the canonicalizations done by different compilers, but I don't find the site again :? From what I remember de Morgan's law is rather commonly used by compilers, though.
tromp
Full name: John Tromp

Post by tromp »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am I am also not convinced that !(x >> 8 & x) would be faster than kind[x].
I don't understand how that got into my post. I didn't write that.
In fact I would be convinced of the opposite, particularly since I expect the ! operator to be optimized away in tests like if is_rook_move(...) { }
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:39 am
tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am I am also not convinced that !(x >> 8 & x) would be faster than kind[x].
I don't understand how that got into my post. I didn't write that.
In fact I would be convinced of the opposite, particularly since I expect the ! operator to be optimized away in tests like if is_rook_move(...) { }
Sorry, I messed up. I wanted to add that line as an afterthought to my own posting, but must have accidentally clicked the edit button on yours. And since my posting quoted the last part of your posting, the difference was not immediately obvious. I now corrected this mistake.

And indeed things are dependent on whether the context allows the ! to be optimized away. But even if it can, x >> 3 & x requires a MOVE, SHIFT and AND, while kind[x] just requires a LOAD and a TEST.
klx
Full name: Emanuel Torres

Post by klx »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am Your example fails the condition "given that the move constituted by that is either a rook or a bishop move".
Ok sure, I don't know the rules for how bishops move, I just observed that it's not the same.
tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am The 2nd line should have a logical, not bitwise, or:
Huh, why is that?
tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am or equivalently, saving one operation:
Decent compilers will compile that to the same or equivalent code. That's like me saying x / 8 should be x >> 3 to avoid slow integer division.
tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am I'm not sure if compilers are smart enough to apply de Morgan's law though.
When only distinguishing between rook and bishop moves, the expensive logical-and && can be replaced by a cheaper bitwise-and & between (x&56)>>3 and x&7, and using the fact that from and to are limited to 6 bits, we can replace these operands by x/8 and x.
Well I can't speak for all compilers, but modern C++ compilers at least will easily do it, and in fact your suggested code will be slightly slower (16% slower on my machine).
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
klx

Post by klx »

BIG DISCOVERY

EMANUELS ROOK / BISHOP DETECTION STRATEGY

Code: Select all

bool is_rook_move_emanuel(int from, int to) {
    return 0x1010101010101fe & 1ULL << (from ^ to);
}
Over twice as fast as the previously suggested methods!!

Emanuel does it again!!
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
tromp
Full name: John Tromp

Post by tromp »

klx wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm Over twice as fast as the previously suggested methods!!
You're not returning bool values though.
Which is easily fixed by right shifting the 64-bit constant instead of left-shifting 1ULL.
R. Tomasi
Full name: Roland Tomasi

Post by R. Tomasi »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm
klx wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm Over twice as fast as the previously suggested methods!!
You're not returning bool values though.
Which is easily fixed by right shifting the 64-bit constant instead of left-shifting 1ULL.
Not sure about Perl, but at least in C/C++ the above code will indeed return a bool value (any integer can be implicitly converted to bool).
klx

Post by klx »

tromp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm You're not returning bool values though.
Yeah, Roland is right, I'm assuming a C style language which automatically casts it. We can also add bool() or !!() if we want to be more explicit.

YMMV, but with my compiler and machine, right shifting produces considerably slower code, since "& 1 << x" will issue the "bit test" X86 instruction while right shift does not.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

klx wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm BIG DISCOVERY

EMANUELS ROOK / BISHOP DETECTION STRATEGY

}
Over twice as fast as the previously suggested methods!!

Emanuel does it again!!
That is a LOAD (of the constant 1ull), a LOAD of the 'magic number' (which would need a ULL suffix, btw, and must be loaded from memory even though it is a constant due to its size), a SHIFT plus an AND. That is twice as many instructions than kind[from^to]. So learn to count.
klx

Post by klx »

hgm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:49 pm
klx wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm

}
That is a LOAD (of the constant 1ull), a LOAD of the 'magic number' (which would need a ULL suffix, btw, and must be loaded from memory even though it is a constant due to its size), a SHIFT plus an AND. That is twice as many instructions than kind[from^to]. So learn to count.
With all due respect, you are wrong on all accounts.

1. No it does not need a ULL suffix.
2. On x64, "movabs" loads a 64 bit immediate into a register. It does not go through memory.
3. As I wrote in another post, at least on x64 systems and with a decent compiler, the specific expression I wrote will compile to the BT (bit test) instruction. There's no loading 1ULL, no shifting. There's essentially only MOV, XOR and BT, and then the result is in the carry flag for whatever use case you have. And if this check is repeated many times (which is likely to be the case if it needs to be optimized), the constant would be kept in a register, in which case there's only XOR and BT.

Your version is not bad, but a memory lookup for each test, even if L1 cached, will nonetheless be slower.

Best regards / Emanuel