On-line engine blitz tourney September

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney September

Post by flok »

Ras wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:32 pm
Joost Buijs wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pmThe program played very weak, about the level of Sargon 1, I assume SOS 5.1 from Rudolf Hubner is much stronger than this.
Yes, and the 3.5 points Pygmalion scored are easy to misinterpret. The three wins: POS is the random mover
It is not.
micahgb threw away its material including the queen (likely some setup issue because Micah is 2100 CCRL where that doesn't happen)
No, it is an experimental cluster version.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

flok wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pmIt is not.
Then what is it?
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
flok

Post by flok »

Ras wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 pm
flok wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pmIt is not.
Then what is it?
rule-based
R. Tomasi
Full name: Roland Tomasi

Post by R. Tomasi »

Pygmalion is very weak. The program isn't finsished (very simple evaluation, no LMR, no futility pruning, etc). The wins in it's statistic are there because I had it play a few matches with atomSargonI and micahgb before the tournament, in order to get a rating. I was actually expecting to come out last in the tournament. Despite its weakness I am therefore quite happy.

Rest assured, though: there is lots of room for improvement, and in the long run it will not remain such a push-over ;)
R. Tomasi

Post by R. Tomasi »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Guenther wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:55 pm
I was curious about Pygmalion because I never heard of it, thus I looked up the finger notes on your server.

Code: Select all

Statistics for Pygmalion(C)     (Last disconnected Sat Sep 11, 22:58 CEST 2021):

rating     RD     win   loss   draw  total   best
Blitz     1979     85.3      7     12      5     24   2007 (11-Sep-2021)

1: This is a computer account: SOS 5.1 for Arena@Arena 3.5.1
fics%
Yesterday I noticed this too and decided not to make a point of it. I could be possible that he first tried to logon with Arena and later switched to Winboard with his own engine. The program played very weak, about the level of Sargon 1, I assume SOS 5.1 from Rudolf Hubner is much stronger than this.
I have no idea where that comes from. Pygmalion is orders of magnitude weaker than SOS 5.1 and in no way related to it. The only explanation that I have, is that I tried to get the login to the server running using Arena 3.5.1, which has SOS bundled with it. However I never played a single game using Arena on the server...

Edit: I am a complete newbie concerning ICS. Yesterday was the first time ever that I connected to an ICS server. I would very much like to clear that up, since the information that it might be related to SOS 5.1 is false. However, being a total newbie to ICS, I actually have no idea how to change it... :oops:
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

R. Tomasi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 pm
I was curious about Pygmalion because I never heard of it, thus I looked up the finger notes on your server.

Statistics for Pygmalion(C)     (Last disconnected Sat Sep 11, 22:58 CEST 2021):

fics%
Yesterday I noticed this too and decided not to make a point of it. I could be possible that he first tried to logon with Arena and later switched to Winboard with his own engine. The program played very weak, about the level of Sargon 1, I assume SOS 5.1 from Rudolf Hubner is much stronger than this.
I have no idea where that comes from. Pygmalion is orders of magnitude weaker than SOS 5.1 and in no way related to it. The only explanation that I have, is that I tried to get the login to the server running using Arena 3.5.1, which has SOS bundled with it. However I never played a single game using Arena on the server...

Edit: I am a complete newbie concerning ICS. Yesterday was the first time ever that I connected to an ICS server. I would very much like to clear that up, since the information that it might be related to SOS 5.1 is false. However, being a total newbie to ICS, I actually have no idea how to change it... :oops:
After logging in, type "set 1 <whatever you want to put here to identify your engine, or anything else>". It will overwrite the text about SOS.

You actually have five "finger" lines, so then you can do "set 2 ....", "set 3 ....", etc. It's best (but not required) to keep the lines short enough to display on a single so there's no awkward text formatting. When you're done, type "fi" and you should see everything. You can also do "fi <account_name>" to see the finger notes for any account (if they've been entered by the owner).
R. Tomasi

Post by R. Tomasi »

JVMerlino wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 am
R. Tomasi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:44 pm

fics%

After logging in, type "set 1 <whatever you want to put here to identify your engine, or anything else>". It will overwrite the text about SOS.

You actually have five "finger" lines, so then you can do "set 2 ....", "set 3 ....", etc. It's best (but not required) to keep the lines short enough to display on a single so there's no awkward text formatting. When you're done, type "fi" and you should see everything. You can also do "fi <account_name>" to see the finger notes for any account (if they've been entered by the owner).
Thank you for your kind help. I will update the information asap. In the meantime, I decided to make the Pygmalion source code publicly available ahead of time, in order to clear up any confusion:

forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78159&sid=e8 ... e8f2a3ae62
flok

Post by flok »

flok wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pm
Ras wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:32 pm
Joost Buijs wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 pmThe program played very weak, about the level of Sargon 1, I assume SOS 5.1 from Rudolf Hubner is much stronger than this.
Yes, and the 3.5 points Pygmalion scored are easy to misinterpret. The three wins: POS is the random mover
It is not.
micahgb threw away its material including the queen (likely some setup issue because Micah is 2100 CCRL where that doesn't happen)
No, it is an experimental cluster version.
Oh and important detail: the (6) nodes are raspberry pi 2s.